Saturday 12 January 2013

Filthy fun

Day 12 January challenges. Today I started with a run. Hubby walked the dog, and as he left he reached for his winter hat. So I put a jacket on. Brr! It was freezing Dark and cold but fortunately not slippery. I wore compression socks to give my sore leg a break, wish I'd thought of that sooner, it did the trick. I never looked at my watch, just ran how I felt. I didn't want to push myself as I have done a fair few miles this last 12 days. As I ran down Clotherholme Road the sky turned pink ahead of me and as I turned down Ash Bank the street lights pinged as they turned off. I love being out as the sun comes up. This gave me a boost and I ran 6 miles this morning.
Later this morning, hubby and I headed out on the mountain bikes for a predominantly off road route. I can't believe how cold It was, I wished I'd put on thicker gloves. I kept having to wiggle my fingers, it wasn't until we got off road near Burton Leonard that I warmed up. Gosh it was hard work, peddling up muddy hills and on grass. As we approached Markington we had to go along the edge of a field, it was tough, there were bits of hedge trimmings all over the place, punctures crossed my mind but I told myself that these tyres were designed for this sort of riding, I left the field and headed up the lane. Oh Oh! I had a flat rear tyre. I pulled over to wait for hubby. He arrived a little muddy, he'd had a fall, he said he was ok and helped fix the puncture. We were filthy. We soon continued on our way, the lane was really tough going. Near the end as we approached the village, I spotted some car keys on the ground. I picked them up and we detoured to the village shop where I left them with the shop keeper. I was paranoid that my tyre would go down again, it was not as pumped up as usual as the bike pump is not great. We carried on by road to Whitcliffe lane and the tyre held. This road is getting worse, great for mountain bikes though.
When we got home we were cold and filthy, but we'd had a great time. Now for the worst bit. Cleaning up ourselves and the bikes.
After lunch I walked to see my mum, my legs were shockingly tired from the effort of off road biking.
All in all its been a good days training. Doubt I'll have trouble sleeping tonight.
Run 6.16 miles
Bike 17.41 miles
Walk 2.32 miles
Total 25.89 miles

1 comment: