Wednesday 23 January 2013

Day 23, I thought it was all over :-(

Yesterday I did less mileage than planned, so I set my alarm, extra early, 5:00, and yes I do mean in the morning. I got up, had breakfast and set off at 5:50 with Jed for a dogjog. I planned to go up to Studley as its a bit lighter when the snow is on the ground.
The paths were quite slippery but the roads were quiet enough to run on, and I had my Yaktrax in my pocket should I need them. We ran along side the park to give Jed time to do his thing, then I crossed the road, and then it happened. I know that the road has corroded beside the path at the junction to Trinity Lane, but it was wet and dark and suddenly there was a shooting pain up my leg, a crack and I leant suddenly to the left. I looked down and could see the sole of my trainer. I had turned my ankle. I felt sick, I couldn't put my weight on it. I sat on a nearby wall and composed myself. I thought it was all over, no Janathon, no Jantastic, I'd pay my fine to Sid's January Poppyfields challenge. It would be difficult to complete the 3 2013 challenges and Outlaw was definitely in jeopardy. I tried again to walk, I could, it was a little tender but weight bearing. I decided to walk Jed and go home, but soon, my foot and ankle felt fine so I tried a little jog, and I could, so I decided to continue out into the county side and walk if needed, I had plenty of time. It was lovely out in the country, I could see for miles, but I felt unnerved, I ran up to Studley but didn't go in the park, I turned back and ran in town. I had to stop to put my Yaktrax on for 1 street.
I got home on the 5 mile mark, I dreaded removing my sock and trainer, but there was no visible damage, no bruise or swelling. After my bath a small bruise appeared at the base of my little toe.
I could still walk, run, hop, balance.
I am very lucky. I have rubbed Deep Relief gel into it and kept it elevated at work. It is not pain less but feels a bit like when you clatter your ankle bone of the furniture. I have just had my sports massage with Libby. She has poked, pushed, pulled and manipulated my ankle and its tender but if pain was I-10 it would be 2. A nuisance .
I am now heading out to the youth drama group for a couple of hours. Lie in tomorrow (6oclock alarm)
Run 5 miles (very happy under the circumstances)

4 comments:

  1. Happy for you that it turned out ok. I know that sinking feeling. Good luck with 2013ks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I mean miles - wow that IS a lot of running

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad it wasn't too serious! 5 miles is amazing considering!

    ReplyDelete