Saturday 19 January 2013

19January Snowy Saturday

The snow settled in Ripon overnight, about 3 inches, I couldn't wait to get out onto the dark silent streets. I really wanted to get out into the countryside but a half marathon tomorrow made that not the best Idea. So I went the route I used to train on when I was working up to my first 5km. I was not the first out, there were plenty of footprints for 7am on a Saturday. But the snow was good to run on, not slippery at all. I took my time enjoying the feel and sound of the crisp snow under my Brooks ASR trainers. I really did enjoy my run, it was very invigorating.
After a breakfast of homemade pancakes, streaky bacon and maple syrup, I wrapped up warm and took the mountain bike and set off to Studley Deer Park. I am so lucky to have Studley, practically on my doorstep. The roads were now slushy as the snow started to melt, but the side road that led to Studley Rodger was compact snow which was a bit sloppy to ride on. I entered the park and was surprised to see a couple of cars already leaving. I cycled all the way up to the gate, the church was stunning in the snow, a great view to focus on as I cycled the mile up to the gate, to my left could here shrieking and giggling, I knew the kids were enjoying the snowy hills, but I would investigate that later, right now, I wanted to see the deer, so I headed in the opposite direction and soon found the deer, they were very brave, they let me ride very close and stop for pics. To be honest though, they must be used to fluorescent clad 2 legged and 2 wheeled beasts, as Studley is a favourite training area for many.
After finding the deer I headed for the car park and as I approached I was amazed at how many people were around, there was a constant stream of cars heading for the car park and the hills were covered in people sledging and playing in the snow. I love Studley for its peace and quiet. There was none of that today as the kids enjoyed the snow, they were having great fun. I was starting to get cold, so headed home.
This afternoon I walked to visit mum and back.
Brass Monkey half marathon tomorrow - cancelled. Shame that, but the right decision. Imagine the poor marshals out for 3 hours in this weather. Plus if this freezes overnight it will be lethal to run on.
Run 3.6 miles
Bike 7 miles
Walk 2.34 miles
Total 12.94 miles




























No comments:

Post a Comment