Saturday 6 June 2015

Taking the wind from my sails

Last night I sat at the computer and mapped a route for the bike ride today, I put it onto my new secondhand Garmin edge and was excited about trying it out today. The forcast was sun and wind.
WHY? Why are Saturday's so windy?
We sorted the bikes last night ready for an early start. 
This morning we got up and oh boy was it windy? Never mind though all our long rides have been windy.
Martin and Jeff arrived and soon we were underway, it was hard work cycling against the wind, but at least it was dry. We headed for Masham to start with before turning towards Leyburn. The wind was rarely in our favour but we were making reasonable time, considering. Leyburn is higher up and the closer we got the stronger the wind got, with gusts that shoved me across the road as I passed gate, very scary. Through Leyburn we had a section of tail wind that was nice, but not for long, the higher we climbed the stronger the winds and the gusts were sudden and violent. But we made it to the Catterick road in one piece and enjoyed a few miles of favourable winds getting high 20's and low 30's mph, regaining some of the time that we had lost cycling into the wind. By Catterick village we had got back to 14 mph average. The next section to Richmond is one I always struggle on, so I expended some energy in doing this section a bit better. 
When we got to Richmond the are was full of the scent of smoke and as we got to the town centre the smoke thickened and roads were closed. 
There was a fire in some shops close to the route we normally take. We diverted into the town centre and cycled up the cobbles of the market square, that was not comfy. We still couldn't get back on route because of the fire. We stopped and had a re think. We went a different route with a 16% hill down to the river. The wind was howling around the buildings. I got scared, got off and walked the steepest bit. When I got to the bottom the boys were waiting for me, I directed them to the right and what comes down must go up, and up we went, not at 16% but up! and up with bits of tree falling around us and smoke scented air. Soon we were back on route, back into a head wind. We all agreed to shorten the ride and not go to Hawes, but to go back the way we had come. 
The next 10 miles were horrific, the gusts of wind were threatening to knock us of our bikes, preventing us going forwards and it was a hilly section, we finally got back to the Leyburn road, the boys were all for going home the quick way and by now my spirit was broken and I agreed. The ride into Leyburn was even worse at one point I was blown off the road, struggling to unclip and get my foot onto the verge before I fell. 
Leyburn back to Bedale was with more favourable winds but at one point I was blown across the road when I was going about 30 mph, very scary. I was very relieved to get home. 
After sorting my bike I went for a 10 km run, which again was ok with the wind behind me but the trees were shaking and at times the wind would physically move me. When running into the wind it was so difficult. 
So today was a tough day's training, glad it's done. 
Garmin says winds were 21 mph, met office said 34 mph with gusts of 56 mph, I know who I believe.

Totals today
Walk 3 miles
Swim 0 miles
Bike 58 milles
Run 6.2 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment