Thursday 18 June 2015

Everything is not going swimmingly

How to fit everything in was today's issue, there was no racecourse swim because Ripon Races were on, so we decided to go to Ellerton, that would mean no run swim run.
So I ran down the lane and back this morning, 1.6 miles for runstreak 169. Then I cycled 14 miles to work it was nice, only a slight breeze, and after work I cycled home by now the breeze was a head wind. 
We went to Ellerton and the wind was getting stronger bug the water seemed reasonably calm, bug it wasn't. Once in the water was chillier than of late and the water was quite rough, the second side of the triangle was awfull, swimming directly into the waves, I kept getting my breathing and sighting wrong and getting a nose and mouthful of water. On the second lap my goggles started to leak, I struggled on to the buoy but the wasted was really rough, so I headed to the shallows to sort my goggles. I set off again and the water seemed even more rough. If was aweful, I was remembering the IMWales swim, which I failed at. At one point I had to stop, compose myself and carry on in my ineffective breaststroke. The swim to the next buoy was not too bad as long as Ai only breathed to the right as the water also pushed me to the right! I managed to get round the buoy, common sense said stop, enough is enough, but I listened to that voice in Wales, No! I had to conquer this. So I set off for a third lap as I reached the buoy I was struggling to remain calm, yet again the water seemed even rougher, I set of at an angle from the buoy aiming towards the shore. If all else failed I could get out and walk around the lake back to the car park." Sit Up negative thoughts" I just had to keep going forwards, which I did, I swam along the shore so I could put my feet down if I was feeling overwhelmed, which I did, twice, soon there was no shore I had commit and to head to the buoy. I set of in crawl, then heads up crawl and eventually my useless breaststroke, I thought I'd never make it, I felt very alone. But at last I reached the buoy and headed for the last buoy and then the jetty. Where I felt very relieved to eventually beable to stand up on solid ground.
0.96 of a mike I had managed to swim, it was cold hard work, more mentally actually. But I have to face up to the fact that with the winds we have had all year, it's likely to be windy and rough at Pennington Flash on 19 July. I need to get a grip.
Today's miles
Swim 0.96 miles
Cycle 28 miles
Run 1.6 miles 
Walk, none recordable 

1 comment:

  1. Well done for persevering. Get the grim swims out of the way in training, and fingers crossed you will have a peach of a swim on race day.

    ReplyDelete