Saturday 13 June 2015

Swaledale Marathon



Just cos it's Saturday doesn't mean the alarm was turned of, no chance, today was the Swaledale Marathon.
I wanted to do this event but it sold out whilst I dithered. A friend was unable to do it so he sold me his place, I wanted to get to registration early to transfer the details. 
I arrived and parked up. There were already a lot of runners parked up. There were a few Ripon Runners. I asked Mike whether it was worth coming back to the car, he said he wasn't. So I sorted my race gear and we set off to registration. It was a fair walk along a path between the meadows.
Mike talked me though the race and pointed out the start and the first challenge, a track up the hillside before running along the ridge.
We got to registration and I went to transfer John's number into my name. I went to put on my glasses but could not find them. I searched my pockets and bag. They were nowhere. I would need them for map reading. I registered and showed my pack contents before getting my clip card. I retraced my steps scanning the ground. When I got back to the car, there in the grass behind it were my glasses. Phew! Back to registration I went. 
Competitors were gathering across the road by the start and the portaloos, I could have done with visiting the portaloos but the queues were big, I figured there'd be loos on route. The Ripon Runners were gathering, there were about 20 of us including our chairman Chris who was heading a group who were taking it steady. We had a group pic and listened to the starter's brief. There was one bloke who had done all 35 previous Swaledale Marathons and a bloke from New Zealand amongst the starters. And then we were off, walking through the narrow gate and then jogging up a a lane which rapidly became steep and everyone around me was walking.
On these type of events I am quite strict with myself about walking ups and running downs and flats. 
I was running with Matthew for a while but soon he pulled away. I just kept working my way up the hill, steadily overtaking people. We got high very quickly and there were runners as far as you could see.
The views were lovely but the mist covered the hills in the direction we were headed

Eventually I reached the gap in the wall and set off along the ridge, the tack was uneven but still I gained on other runners, until eventually we headed down. Oh my goodness, it was a steep grassy and rocky descent, glad it wasn't raining cos it would have been really slippy. There was a group of runners with a runner on the ground, injured. I didn't stop as they were phoning for assistance and looked to be in control of the situation. The route became really tricky and I was so nervous descending that I was overtaken be quite a few runners. As the descent became easier I found myself on a narrow lane, half way along it I stood in the verge to allow the Swaledale Mountain Recue vehicle though. It must gave been going for the fallen runner.
The first checkpoint was a welcome sight. Nice cool water on what was turning into a warm day. Fir a while the terrain was kind.

 
But all to soon I was climbing again, gaining places back, but I was really sweating, I eventually on a steep climb decided to remove my base layer. I did this as I walked up the hill and almost immediately felt better. 
I spotted Matthew ahead and thought I must have been doing ok. I felt strong, I almost caught up. Across the valley I Could see the runners ahead, I saw some Ripon Runners and thought they were only a mile ahead maybe. That buoyed me up, but as I crossed the head of the river and passed another checkpoint, I found myself stuck behind other runners on the narrow soft heathery tracks. Some let me pass, but I used this as recovery. 
I could still see Matthew ahead in his bright blue t shirt, but the terrain changed, piles of gravely scree, and yellow flags, I figured I had to follow the flags as often there were now no runners in sight. The landscape was harsh like a moonscape, Matthews blue shirt occasionally showed up. I followed that and the tracks of the recent passing of many trainers, traipsing the moisture from puddles to create a signpost. At the next checkpoint I caught up with Matthew and passed him as I ran between the quarry/mine heaps of gravel. Eventually we set off back down, Dow steep banks on narrow tracks, I took them slowly. To my right was a steep valley and the trail was close to the edge, I couldn't enjoy the view properly as it was a bit scary for me, as the track widened I managed yo look around a bit.
I was heading now for Gunnerside and another steep gras descent where I was passed by a couple of runners even as I gained on others. Finally in the dark cool of the riverside I saw a Ripon Runner, Gary not running though, supporting. I joked with him about him having completing the race already, but he hadn't run today.  The babbling river aggravated the fact that I still needed the loo. At Gunnerside the checkpoint was ate the local institute, yey! Loos, upstairs, but I didn't care. 
After the loo, I had a drink and set off steadily, up, up, up, slowly regaining my position as I lost places going to the loo. There was only 10 km to go, but if wasn't easy going, rocky paths and long steep hills., 



A tarmac road lead me back downwards to a bridge which was a lovely picnic spot, as I approached I felt I'd been here before, as a child. There were cars parked and kids playing, lovely. 

I checked in and heard my name, it was Gary. Only one steep bit left he said as I headed upwards, after replacing my bottle in my pack for me. Oh boy it was steep, steep down into the gill followed by a steep up the other side . But there were less than 3 miles to go now.
Although I was tired I still felt quite good, I was still catching up wth people. There eventually was the final self clip after a long narrow rocky path, I clipped and turned to my right for a steeper rocky narrow lane, but at the end a Marshall pointed me left, yeh! Civilisation, I could see Reeth along the road and I just ran for it, a big further and a bit further to the pub, there were crowds cheering and calling encouragement as I turned the corner for the final home straight. 
Done. Now time to check in, eat my hot meal I had mash and veg followed by rice pudding. If was yummy. I sat with othe Ripon Runners all buoyant with their success. I had been a good day, then I saw Sally, she had fallen and cut her chin, it was taped up, She wax in good spirits though. I hope it heals well
I then collected my mug and badge and ran (if you could call it that) back to the car.


A tough race, the terrain makes running for a wimp like me difficult. So I am very pleased with my time of 5 hours 7 minutes,
A couple of pis courtesy of Gary

About 17 miles in.


20 miles in, 3 miles to go


No comments:

Post a Comment