Saturday 24 January 2015

#Janathon day 24 Long weekend session

Ah! Saturday, the day for a lie-in NOT.
Training plan says, walk 1 hour 50 minutes with Heartrate above 100 bpm, then run for 2 hours 50 minutes keeping heartrate below 130 bpm.  Jed likes Saturday because it means a longer walk for him. So after a breakfast of a banana and a yogurt washed down with a couple of cups of coffee we set off in darkness to walk by the river. The weather was cold but clear and not too frosty and the sun soon woke up to join us. It was very peaceful, we never saw anyone else for the first 20 minutes, in fact we hardly saw anyone else on today's walk. Billy has a sore calf and as time went on it got more sore, so at an hour and 10 mins he decided to go home and take Jed. Jed was reluctant he doesn't like it if we split up. 

I continued onto a route I've not done before, it was a bit further than I thought and I had walked 6.9 miles in 1 hour 50 but I wasn't at home so I ended up walking 7.76 miles in 2 hours 3 minutes with an average HR of 99 bpm and I was starving.
Transition comprised of swapping my hiking boots for road trainers and of eating a couple of digestives whilst packing and putting my hydration vest on.
10 min later I was out the door and heading for West Tanfield, a 6 and a half mile route that is mainly road and not hilly. I picked an easy route for a change. This is a nice quiet route. I found it difficult so keep my heartrate low! But I didn't have to walk too often. There were some muddy sections. I took the advantage of one of these sections to take the gel that I'd packed, as I set off back towards home. The 6.5 miles home seemed to pass quickly and the 2 hours 50 were up at the half marathon point. So I stopped my watch and walked the last few yards home. 

My average HR was 129.
So today I have covered over 20 miles in under 5 hours without busting a gut. 
It's been a good day to be out today, sunny, cool and peaceful. 

I also took Jed for a short walk this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment