Tuesday 18 January 2011

What am I doing wrong?

Apparently weight loss is maths, as long as your calories out are more than your calories in the weight comes off.
I am active and I'm sure that I dont over eat but I am also 12 st 10lb at 5ft 10in. whenever I stop watching what I eat and stop jumping on the scales my weight and size increases, I can feel it in my clothes.
An average day.
05:45 Eat 1 banana, 1 weightwatchers fruit layer yogurt, 1 coffee
06:15 walk dog 2-3 miles
07:00 1 coffee 2 slices wholegrain toast and marmalade, 1/2 grapefruit
07:00-08:00 housework
08:30 walk 3/4 mile to work
11:00 1 low cal hot chocolate 1 apple
13:20 1 cup-a-soup, 4 ritz crackers or ham sandwich on whole grain bread, handful grapes
16:00 walk 3/4/ mile home
16:10 walk dog 2-3 miles
17:00-18:00 tea, jacket potato, veg and meat, or casserole, or pasta and sauce. low cal hot chocolate. fruit based dessert
20:00 1pt water + snack, toast & pate,
22:00 bed
I also have the following exercise routine.
Mon evening 5 mile run followed by 1200 yd swim
Tues evening running club, av 7 miles
Wed 1 mile swim
Thur running club training av 4.5 mile intervals or hills
Fri 20-30 mins turbo training
Sat Rest
Sun long run 10-20 miles.
Av calories per week 4500 in exercise
Surely I should not have to keep watching my weight.
Advice please




6 comments:

  1. I have the same problem. Ive put on a stone last year. Im now 11.12 and 5f 5. im trying to get to 10.5 by 10th apr. I went back to slimming world last week and ran 24 miles and 3 crossfit sessions and lost 1lb! I was gutted. I just cant seem to budge the fat. I have a bad weekend food wise as ended up having a takeaway pizza on Saturday night and a few beers (runrampage) but been good apart from that. Your food diary looks good. What about smaller portions??? (not that I can talk)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lena, I think Claire may have a point about smaller portions. Listening to the marathon talk podcast the other day and they made exactly that point about weight loss. If you need to lose weight then first you need to eat better, if that's not enough then you need to eat less. Can I mention something you said right at the start of your post though. You said that as soon as you stop watching what you eat your weight and size increases. Does this mean that you start eating 'less healthy' options and snacking more?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Leslie, if i am not watching what I eat, i dont eat much different to be honest, I may add a couple of biccies, and a couple of extra glasses of home brew, which I missed out, the wine, but not every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am 5ft 9 inches and 13stone 7ilbs which means my BMI is 27.99 meaning I am overweight. I have lost 2 kilos since beginning of Janathon which is good. However to hit the healthy BMI target of 25 I would need to be 12stone 1 ibs . I can't see myself losing 20ibs. Like you I do enjoy home brews and some wine . I think I almost reward myself for doing the running by enjoying larger meal portions - my downfall.

    These tips from NHS may be of interest http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/eight-tips-healthy-eating.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, I've been on the site, done the interactive stuff, I'm very fit, eat a healthy balanced diet, but overweight, by a bit, 25.53. maybe I'm just getting hung up on the weight issue, but 2 years ago I was running less and 12lb lighter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leana, I am too struggling to loose a few lbs, I am about a stone over weight, to be honest, I also think age has an awful lot to do with the speed at which you loose weight. I shifted 6 stone in 9 months just 6 years ago and I didn't exercise, now, I run, eat healthy and struggle to loose a couple of lbs. To me, you look good! We are so critical of our own bodies! We fail to see them from other people's views..... Besides, muscle weighs more than fat!! I wouldn't worry about it!..... Mmmmm think I should take my own advice here... lol.

    ReplyDelete