Friday 14 January 2011

Think before you speak

On Sunday I recorded the Great East Swim as I was going for my long run. I watched it later in the day with my husband.
Now my husband used to be fit, he used to run a half marathon in 1:35 and I didn't get it, I had tried running and given up so my husband used to run alone. He even did a triathlon once. But i thought he was a bit mad, " I need to run" he'd say. but unfortunately my husband has a degenerative spinal condition and the runs got less and less regular until eventually they stopped alltogethe, Ironicliy, just as I had started to try running again. so when we could have run together i wouldnt persevere and now that i had discovered that joy of runnning that he had had, he was physically unable to do it.
Last year on our wedding anniversary he suggested that I try tri. I thought about it a couple of days and then embraced the challenge, he treated me to all the equiptment and also bought himself a wetsuit, as he fancied open water swimming, and we went a couple of times at the end of the summer to a local lake and enjoyed it.
So after watching the Great east swim on the telly I asked "do you fancy that", "No" he replied, but i went online and registered interest in the Great north Swim, the Emails were to be sent to out joint email address. Yesterday the email came to say that it was open to entries, and my husband said, " D'you know that swim, I'll do it". so before he could change his mind I had us entered. now we will be able to do some training together.

4 comments:

  1. right missus you have persuaded me to stick with it :) Really heartwarming to hear about your mutual encouragement, good luck with the swim x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck to both of you. I did great east last year (boy it was rough) and have booked for this year too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched that on telly, It looked tough. Well done for doing it and for entering it again

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck to both of you! You're braver than I am! I'm scared of deep water!!

    ReplyDelete