Sunday 29 June 2014

Juneathon day 29 sea swim

All month we have known that we could choose today's training, so we planned a sea swim. I asked on Facebook if anyone was swimming at North East coast, A lady replied who planned to swim for about 6 hours, she is training to swim the English Cannel in 4 weeks.
We got up this morning and it was a bit dreary outside, but undaunted we set off, as we got closer to Seaton Carew, the sun was out but it was windy. We parked up and OMG the sea looked rough.

We met up with the othe swimmers and after squeezing into our wetsuits we followed Amanda and her support crew into the water. Amanda was just in a bathing costume. I was scared. The water was battering us, Amanda and Matt soon disappeared into the white foam. Billy stuck with me and we forced our way trough the breakers, they battered us relentlessly, trying to grab my hat, getting in my goggles, I was so buoyant I couldn't get upright to sort them out, and still the waves came.
Eventually, we attempted to swim parallel to the shore (left) no mean feat, as the waves were coming at us diagonally. Breast stroke felt the best method so I could see the waves and where to go, but my breast stroke is pathetic, so heads up front crawl it was, I couldn't get my breathing timed right, I swallowed the water, it shot up my nose but Billy stayed close and I kept onwards. 
Eventually he said we should head in to shore. As soon as we were amongst the breakers we were battered again, my hat and goggles were coming off, so Billy shouted duck when the big waves came and I stuck a hand on my head, Then, suddenly a huge wave caught us, my hat was in my hand and I didn'tt know which way was up,  I could feel the sand and struggled to stand as the waves battered me, I looked behind and there was Billy. His hat had been swept away.
We got our bearings and realised that for all our efforts, instead of swimming along the beach, we'd had been swimming but also been swept backwards and we were a few hundred yards right from where we had entered.
Relieved to survive, I soon recovered and no feel I need to try sea swimming again, hopefully when it's not so rough.
Day 29 totals
Swim 0.33 miles
Walk 3 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment