Thursday 26 June 2014

Juneathon day 26 going swimmingly

Today was open water swim day. I look forwards to it all day, then as the time to get in gets closer, I start to get nervous. I'm always like that but today it was worse because I was already aware that the weed had surfaced.


This the lake at Ripon Racecourse . It's very inviting. This is an old pic of me getting in.

Map of the lake from the Ripon Black Sheep Triathlon website.

Tonight Billy Martin and I got in tonight, 22 degrees c the co ordinater informed us. Didn't feel that warm. Martin asked what we planned. Billy was hoping for 2 laps of the lake, that's both Islands twice, I said 1 lap and then we'll see. So off we went. I had steamed up goggles, so stopped, stopped my watch and sorted them. The boys were already specks in the distance as I started again.
Weed, I hate it, nasty, grabby, prickly weed. I knew it was in there, where would it be. Yuk! there, about 50 yds in, just a small patch, Head up force my way through, head down back at it. I soon was passing the first island it was clear, past the second jetty, still ok. This was going well.
 About half way along the second Island , grab, scratch, I'll soon be through, head up, OMG! 

You could see it on the surface, all around, I'd have to swim heads up. it was too thick, breast stroke. Now I can't actually do breast stroke, well not well anyway, but I worked my way slowly through. It felt like forever, I looked to my left and saw


Lily pads? What? Didn't expect that. I'd been admiring them on the neighbouring canal on my run last Sunday, never thought I'd see them in the lake, still nice places for the pike to hide.
I finally cleared the weed and swam wide of the top Island and headed back to the starting jetty where I turned and set off to do the whole lot again. 
This time I didn't hit the first patch of weed, that cleared me up, maybe there was a route through, I swam on, past the first island and the second jetty, I was about half way along the second island when I was surrounded. 
I clearly watched too many murder mysteries as I imagine there are dead people in the lake, waiting to pull me in. I hate pale patches and dread what I may see.
It was like I was been pulled and tugged as , with my head up, I fought my way though for a second time. Phew! What a relief to egg clear.
I returned to the start for the second time, Billy was there " can I do a bit more?"  Yes he said, so off I went.
No way was was I doing that weed again so I aimed for the first island. 
I was swimming up towards it, "Blooming Heck!" It never seemed to get closer. I finally made it to the first island, doing sums in my head. " Oh no!' I thought, no one is allowed in the lake after 8, I'd gone too far. This was racing a cut off, I swam as guard as I could, there were no other swimmers, no big buoys, I had to sight accurately. I swam hard and was tiring and finding it difficult to focus on the jetty, but I had to jeep going, I had to be out of the lake by 8 pm. Finally I made it there were a couple of people in the shallows. I stopped my watch.
1:34:25. OMG! That was the hardest and fastest I've done, BUTmy Garmin showed only 1.53 miles. 
No way, the route is 1500 mtrs, so that's at least 3000 mtrs in 2 laps and then the first island is well over half way up the lake, so I am claiming the iron distance for it.

On entry to the lake, Billy stubbed his toe, he said it was very sore, thought it was broken. Now if is bruised swollen and sore. Had had it iced, he swam 2 and a half laps, so the cool water had helped, now he is in a lot of pain.
Day 26 totals
Walk 3 miles,
Swim 2.4 miles



No comments:

Post a Comment