Saturday 21 June 2014

Juneathon day 21 longest day, longest cycle

G&T Happy summer solstace everyone. 
Today's plan was a 90 mile bike but I could attempt 115 if I wanted. So that's what I did.
I set off feeling tired and a bit unclear as to my route, I planned 115 but If I felt rubbish I could reduce it to 90,
I set off for Masham, debating with myself whether to go to Richmond or Hawes, I got to Leyburm and decided on Richmond. On Route I was doing maths in my head and figured Richmond and back would be 65 miles ish, so I decided to go via Catterick Garrison to add some miles, then I could always go onto the relatively flat Ripon Tri route to make up the miles. It was tough getting to Richmond, warm and lots of climbing. As I headed back to Leyburn, I realised that I was at 47 miles, not too bad, maybe 100 miles would be possible, Hawes should add a few miles on. 
So I headed out to Hawes, via Aysgarth, the villages were lovely, all decorated to welcome the Tour de Yorkshire in a fortnight. As I looked across the valley. Across the river Ure to Castle Bolton, I decided that I would return to Leyburn by that route.
There were lots of cyclists heading to Hawes, cycling parts of the Tour route, Hawes was so busy. Instead of just turning around I cycled though Appersett and Hardraw, then back into Hawes before setting off back to Leyburn.
I retraced my route to Bainbridge and turned to Askrigg, more climbing. The route was hillier than I had anticipated, but I managed, Slowly, and eventually made it back to Leyburn. 84 miles done.
Now Leyburn to Ripon is 20 miles so not far enough, so I went to Masham then Bedale and home taking in 1 last hill out of Hutton Conyers at 113 miles.
Hot hard work, over 6000ft of climbing and it took 9 hrs and 2 mins to complete. Almost as hilly as Wales but not quick enough.
Still I am very pleased with my achievment.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/525312288
After getting home I bricked a short run on, which also was tough.
On route today I only took one picture and it was this

Cheesy, I know

Totals day 21
Walk 1.5 miles
Cycle 115.03 miles
Rin 1.62 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment