Monday 27 January 2014

#Janathon day 27. BLF newsletter

I've had a request from the British Lung Foundation to write a few lines about my 2013 challenge.
This is what I have written

My dad Eddie had emphysema for many years before he died. He would go for morning walks to keep himself going, when I finally gave up smoking and started running instead, we would often pass each other whilst out for our daily exercise. Unfortunately though, in April 2008 Dad's heart gave out. I won a club place at The London Marathon 2011. I thought this an ideal chance to raise some money in his memory, and so it started. The London Marathon in 2011 was followed by and Ripon Black Sheep triathlon and Round Ripon Ultra . In 2012 I completed 3 marathons, an ultra marathon and an Iron Distance triathlon. But 2013 was the toughest year ever,
13 marathons, 1 sprint, 1 Olympic, 1 middle and 1 long distance triathlons, all part of my aim to run 2013 miles in one year, A sprained ankle in January threatened to put paid to my plans, but this was for Dad, so 4 days rest and I was going again. The marathon a month left me tired and as the months past and the triathlons were added to the workload, my mileage slipped, by the end of September I really doubted it was possible to complete the challenge, I would have to run an average of 49 miles a week for the rest of the year. In October I ran only 4 days a week, but some days twice a day, and the mileage started to go up as did my confidence. By December I was back on track and planned a big finish on New Year's Eve.
At 10 am on 31/12/13 I met with friends and family and a few canine running partners At St Mary's church, Studley Deer Park near Ripon, to run the 1 mile (my 2013th) down the drive. I was very pleased to complete the tough challenge that I had set myself. My friends and family gave been an amazing support the whole year, and the fundraising target was exceeded, which was the whole purpose of the challenge.
I have now sent in the request for Dad's memorial tree and am so proud of myself. But the reality is, that my 2013 challenge of running 2013 miles including a marathon a month and Outlaw and Vitruvian triathlons was completely a team effort.
Today was swim night, 2k + of skills and drills,

No comments:

Post a Comment