Tuesday 18 June 2013

Juneathon day 18 an unexpected race

Today was a usual busy Tuesday, all the standard stuff, dog walking, work and Junior running before adult Ripon runners.
I hadn't realised that it was Chase You Mates(CYM) tonight. Chase Your Mates is the club handicap. Any Ripon Runner can take part. It's organised by another member of the club. She works out our start times and sets us off and is there to record our times when we get back. The course is scenic, mixed terrain and undulating and approximately 6 miles long.
Anyway, as I hadn't realised it was CYM I did not have my number, I checked my start time and noted my number, 94 can I just call my number when I cross the line? I asked, yes I was told.
Soon it was 6:45 time for me to go, I'd drunk plenty of water so was ready to go, I set off around the cricket pitch and as I left the grounds I could sense other runners behind, I ran hard to the crossing and down to the caravan site crossing the road again, I was relieved that both crossings ha been car free. All the way through the fields I could hear someone behind me, I ran harder, the runner was on my heals as I went through the gate into Studley village. I was over taken by 2 runners as I entered the park, I flagged slightly as I was passed, then Zi challenged myself to not let them get away, I ran hard through the park, gosh it was hot, my mouth was so dry. I was keeping the runners close as we headed up Mackershaw, the cool of the trees and the damp, dust free ground was a blessing, as I turned for the gate, I could see another 2 or 3 runners coming up behind me. I pushed myself hard through the cow field and onto Whitcliffe lane. This is a horrid bit of the course, it is covered in a loose grit and potholes, meaning concentrating where your feet go, every step. I could hear someone close so I pushed hard again, I challenged myself to get to the gate a Hell Wath cottage without bing overtaken, then to get to the little bridge by Duck House, I was going well but almost wanted the runner to overtake so I could rest a bit. I was then overtaken, by on of the fas men, but the other runner was still behind, then a I turned to the caravan site the runne overtook me. And I took a few slower steps to get my breath, some one else passed me, then it was out of the gate, across to the caravan site and I was heading back. I was still reasonably close to one of the runners who overtook me as I entered Studley park. I started to push myself again as I approached the crossing point, then I was passed again. As I ran back towards the cricket club, another runne over took me, but I wouldn't give in, even when I was passed as I was about to enter the cricket ground. I ran around the pitch to the finishing chute '94' I called. Then it was over, I could go get a drink for my dry mouth.
How fast was I? I don't know. One of the rules is that we cannot wear a watch or use any other time keeping or pacing device.
I do know that I ran to the best of my ability. What more can I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment