Sunday 9 June 2013

Juneathon day 9. APWT

Appy With That. When I got up this morning I was tired, tired and achy, when I was walking the dog I kept yawning, and I had a headache. Why today? I want to run a marathon, I need to run a marathon. It's June and my 2013 challenge is for 2013 running miles including a marathon. On a plus side it was cool so that makes for good running conditions. Where should I run? I have an eight and a bit loop of town, which I used in January and February, or the Studley mile, this is in the local deer park,

there is a long drive 1.1 miles up to a gate turn and run 1.1 miles down. The town loop would be less boring and passes the end of my road 3 times for extra fluids or loo stops. The Studley mile has a loo and I can leave my bottle at the bottom gate and refuel and hydrate every 2.2 miles without carrying anything. 
That was the option I chose. The route is, home to Studley, 2 miles, 10x up and down the drive, run home, sorted. I put on ace book what I was doing in the hope that I'd get company. The drive is busy but running up and down 10 times is lonely.
I filled my bottle and set off, my pace was not great, but I felt comfortable. I cot to Studley, stashed my bottle and Jacket and cracked on. It soon became clear that it was going to be tough. The odd thing was that I kept seeing  a man, he was walking up and down the drive twice, I'm not the only glutton for punishment. 
As I was running down on lap 2 I spotted Trish coming through the gate by the cattle grids if come to do a couple with you she said as she set off up the drive. I'll catch you up I sad as I ran across the 3 cattle grids down to the gate. Had a drink and a dextrose tablet then set off to catch Trish. But I couldn't, try as I could. It took me 1.5 laps to catch her,

Soon it was time for Trish to go and I was back to my lonely running. On lap 5 I detoured to the loo and as I was running back down the drive, Billy was coming up, he was going for water at the loos. On lap 7 my water was low so I went to the loos to refill my bottle, lap 7 seemed to go on forever, but Soon, I was back at the bottom gate stashing my bottle. I turned and set off back, only 3 to go,I thought, it was tough, it was no longer cool the clouds had parted to reveal a bright blue sky allowing the day to heat up. I could happily have just gone home, but that would mean I would have to do it next week, I'd come this far, I'd do it If I had to walk. It was a real slog, not enjoyable at all. I was relieved when I started the last lap. It was tough, it felt as if I was running though mud, it felt as if I was not moving, I forced myself up the hill and Mike ran lithely past. I've never ran up here like that, I said out loud as he disappeared into the distance. Nearly there and at least I was still running, well more of a shuffle, I was catching stones with my trainers as I barely lifted my feet, I struggled up the last hill and touched the gate, turned and ran back down, I had a stupid smile on my face, it was over, I ad done it, I was going home. I reached the bottom gate and retrieved my bottle (it was nearly empty) I looked at my watch, 25.9 miles, nearly done, I ran for home, it was hot, I was tired, it was a struggle as I ran between the hedges but I pushed onwards. As my watch vibrated for 27 miles, I stopped, I was out of water, exhausted. I stopped my watch, restarted it and speed walked the rest of the way home, where I rehydrated on Berrocca and lay on the cool tiles with my legs up the wall. 
It was hard but it was a victory, I had persisted even when my body cried stop. At Outlaw I'll be running exhausted, this was in my opinion, good psychological training.
This week I ran over 50 miles, including 2 hilly races, cycled 130, walked 20 miles and swum 2. Not too bad.
In my 2013 Ripon to Moscow virtual challenge, I have actually run 831 miles which virtually places me approaching Berlin.




2 comments:

  1. That is a cracker of a week. Very impressive :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Louise, was tough, looking forward to miles reduction now

    ReplyDelete