Wednesday 4 January 2012

#Janathon day 4 unhappy achilles

Went for my long run today, only it wasnt as long as Id hoped. The weather was rotton. Windy and wet but thought I was doing ok till about 7.5 miles when it suddenly felt like hard work. I persisted though. Unfortunately at around 10 miles my calf/ achilles started to hurt, I was nearly home so I slowed down. I cant believe it, I have lost so much endurance over the last few weeks of only doing short runs, initially due to my calf injury and then a cold then family commitments. Outlaw training will be even tougher now. I was thinking my natural endurance was my advantage but now its gone it will be like starting over again. Hope the calf dettles again soon. Total distance today 10.87 miles

6 comments:

  1. I'm beginning to panic about the running now (and the cycling and swimming!). I'm following the Fink plans for 'Just Get Round' and everything has been short up to now. Might have to start introducing a long weekend run again just to try and keep what little running fitness I have.

    I hope the calf / achilles clears up sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don’t get despondent Lena, from what I see of your activities I’d say you are a natural endurance athlete. 11 miles is very good and with the cycling and swimming you won’t be losing any fitness. Let’s hope the calf and achilles settles down. Crossing my fingers for you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a bad achilles last Janathon, make sure you rest it long enough and carry on the cross training. During Janathon last year I ended up concentrating on core exercises and building up strength, and later ended up running a PB half marathon so don't be despondent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lena, please don't despair! That's a massive achievement and you've a lot to carry emotionally just now - its maybe all connected. Go with it and you'll be fine. You will do it, iknow you will. Take care. Suex

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was still great mileage and as others have said you've had a rough few weeks. Just take it easy for a few days, you're always an inspiration to me so I hope you feel better soon. Hope your mum is improving still too. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. 25 weeks this Sunday. there's time. with multi discipline exercise you'll soon be back to full fitness and the distances will come. im still not swimming yet due to face lurgy, only started riding Dec 13 and not run since Nov 1st cause of knee! Adding running to cycling next week but taking it easy to start with. don't push yourself and jeopardize fitness. you'll be fine i reckon. SERUNNER stick to your plan. you'll be fine mate.

    ReplyDelete