Friday 25 November 2011

getting the speed back

On Sunday 20 November I ran a 10km race in aid of Help For Heroes at Lightwater Valley, a theme park about 3 niles from home. It was an incredibly foggy morning. The race was not till 11:00 am but we set off at 9;00, my running partner, Vicky and I. The junior runners that we have been helping to train we to run tge 3km fun run at 10:00. 13 of our juniors were entered. They looked great in Ripon Runners vests as I warmed them up around a carousel whilst Lisa the main Coach was making sure everyone was there and ready. I was then photographer and Lisa timekeeper aided by Vicky and Pam. We were all so proud as one of our runners was 2nd and the third runner was one of ours too she was first girl. All of our juniors did fantasticaly and we were so proud as we set off for our own race. There seemed as if there were loads of runners about 1000 I thought. Turns out there were more like 300. I was always rubbish with numbers. I set ogf cautiously the ground was uneven and it was crowded on the lanes, but after a couple of km it spaced out and I settled into the run. Ever worried about the injury Ive been fighting I ran hard to "bank some miles before it went" the course was muddy and uneven and was definately undulating. I used club members to guage my progess. I felt I was doing well. As I turned into the field for the finish I slowed slightly and was overtaken by a team mate, I didnt care too much because I was nearly home and my calf had held. I increases my speed again as I approached the finish and was astounded to see 54:38minutes on the clock as I was approaching the final turn. I have not ran that fast since 2009 when I ran a renouned pb course in 54:34. So I was ecstatic to finish in 54:46 my 2nd fastest ever 10km.

1 comment:

  1. So pleased things seem to be recovering, fingers crossed it keeps on the up. Amazing miles, you are a remarkable athlete Lena! :-}

    ReplyDelete