Monday 14 November 2011

Outlaw -231

Well this week has been a bit tough for me. I was forced to stop running. My calf is still not right. This is kind of new territory for me. I sprained my ankle running the Brass Monkey 2010 because I hit a pothole. I could accept the fact that I was injured because I knew what had caused it. This tine is harder, the pain came out if the blue and I am not sure of its cause.. There is no heat, swelling or bruising. It just hurts in a cramping sort of way. It affected my last two races and as I wasnt racing this weekend, it was a good time to rest it. Fortunately it behaves when I swim or cycle, so I have swum and cycled more this week.I have found myself a loop around the outskirts of Ripon so that I can cycle a loop that is well lit rather than country lanes dodging potholes in the dark and being blinded by headlights. The downside of living in such a small city is that the whole loop is only a little over 10 miles. I also will be using my old bike to do this route as it is a heavy steel bike without any form of clip pedals and with big fat tyres, therefore it is a much more dificult and slower ride. Hopefully this will strengthen my legs. Monday I went to the pool to swim for an hour non stop. I did 4 lengths to warm up and then started my watch. I simply swam, I didnt count lengths but kept an eye on the pool clock to give me an idea of time. When I felt an hour had passed I checked my watch and realised I had swum for 1hour 2 minutes.I stopped my watch and swam another 2 Lengths of the 25yd pool. I did that 50yd in 1 min 5 sec. So I estimate my distance as 3000yd. A massive improvement. The training sessions on a Friday in a t shirt are clearly working. Workouts this week. Swim 5040 yds bike 56.47 miles run 16.79 miles Today I went for a bike ride with hubby, my aim was to increase distance. The weather was horrid, fog and rain but we went anyway. We cycled the Black Sheep route. When we got back to Ripon hubby went home and I went around some of the outskirts giving me a total of 36 miles in 2hr21 which averaged 15 mph average speed. If I can build up my distance but maintain that pace I will be quite happy.

2 comments:

  1. You're definitely doing the right thing by resting your calf for now Lena. I found with my calf problem which started very like yours as a sort of cramp that after a weeks rest, I could then start to build up my runs again. I started with a 1/4 mile walk to loosen up followed by a 1/4 mile very easy run repeated for 2 miles and then after a few days extending the run by a 1/4 mile until finally running for a mile with a 1/4 walk rest and then building up further. It felt like starting all over again but was so satisfying not to be competing. Now, 6 weeks on, I finally feel as if I'm back to full strength, so don't rush to get back into your running and you'll be fitter and stronger for it and ready to take on that Ironman distance challenge in no time. Take care, John :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Injuries with no obvious cause are frustrating but hopefully the rest will do the trick. Swimming sounds to be coming on really well!

    ReplyDelete