Tuesday 8 November 2011

Outlaw Training one week in

Well one week in for training and only a week since I ran a marathon. I am wondering if I should hsve had a week off before I started this new adventure. I raced again on Sunday, A 10 mile run around Ripley North Yorkshire. Last year I ran this race 3weeks before the Newcastle Yown Moor Marathon, but due to the marathon being moved into October, this year I was ta weking on a hilly 10 miler the week after a marathon and with a niggling calf. It was a cold day so I warmed up carefully and wore my 2xu leggings. The race started slowly due to bottlenecking on a narrow lane and people avoiding mud and puddles *frustrating*. I just ran in a straight line through the mud and water. The course was mainly uphill for the first couple of mile and my calf felt fine but as the course took a downward turn my calf became very unresponsive. At 4 miles as I headed up a steep hill I decided to run it slowly rather than walk as many were to prevent that changing of le position. About 3/4 up my calf twinged. I stopped and stretched but could not get going again it was quite painful. So I speed walked up the hill and abit on the flat, but with a hop skip and a jump I got going again, slower but going forwards. I continued onwards and at the next big hill with short steps I made it almost to the top but as it turned a corner I was forced to walk a while again. I was nt going to let it beat me. It was no way as bad as last week. I managed to run the last big hill but faltered slighyly on the uneven ground of the last mile. I completed the race 50 seconds slower than last year but am very happy with that under the circumstances. After a light lunch I went out with my husband on a hilly bike ride and although my legs were tired and that affected how far ahead Billy got ahead of me, I kept chasing and did the route 15 minutes faster than ever before. The good news is that my calf never hurt at all on the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment