Monday 5 December 2011

Start of Ironman training a non starter

Today is the first day of my proper 30 week Ironman training plan. When I was looking for plans they all seem to have Mondays as rest days, but since Monday is the only day I can get to the pool for a long swim session I decided to swap Mondays for Wednesdays. I dont see this as an issue as I have always trained the day after my long runs when I have done marathon training and used it almost as recovery. I hope I am right. anyway today's plan called for 1 hr swim session and 50 min bike. But I feel awful, I'm full of cold and feel really washed out so I decided that for this week Monday is rest day. hope that tomorrow i am feeling back to my normal self. This cold has plagued me all of last week disrupting my sleep, but I carried on regardless running and cycling 105 miles over the week including my first 50+ mile bike ride on Saturday and The Percy Pud 10 km road race on Sunday. Both of these were completed despite strong winds and icy rain. I ran the Percy Pud dressed as a snow girl and completed it 24 seconds faster than last year in a time of 55:48. so I am pleased with that, especially as I have this cold.
So rest day it was today. Tomorrow is another day and hopefully training for Outlaw Triathlon will commence.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lena,

    Where did you get your training plan from?

    Im doing Cotswolds 113 next year half ironman and I got my plan from here - http://www.amateurendurance.com/training-programs/article/half-ironman-training-16-wk/

    Im also told IRONGUIDES are really good to but expensive :(

    Good luck with the training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one from Trifuel supercoach and my husband bought me "Be IronFit" by Don Fink they are really similar. I am using elements of both plus a bit of my own ideas

    ReplyDelete
  3. you recommend them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both look well balenced. The Ironfit one is designed to save time. To train smarter not harder thats the main one I'm going to be using once this cold has gone. Tim Gardiner uses and reccomends it so I guess its good. Got him around Outlaw twice.

    ReplyDelete