Sunday 22 September 2024

Hardmoors 60 Relay







Hardmoors 60 Relay
21/09/2024
I was asked in August if I would do a leg of the relay for my second Clain club, Bedale and Aiskew Runners (BAR), due to a member of the group being injured. I accepted. It was a new challenge for me as I’ve never done an event as a relay before.
I know the route, as I have completed the full Hardmoors 60 4 times in the past.
Having taken a few weeks off running in the summer, I did worry that I was the weakest link in the team.
I had leg 2, Skinningrove to Whitby Abbey.


We arrived at Guisborough for registration. It was misty and drizzly. The race was delayed 15 min because the coach from Filey was running late and some runners were now driving from Filey dur to the second coach breaking own. 60 runners arrived en mass at about 7:40 and due to the later start time, all had there trackers and time to organise themselves before the 8 am race briefing.
All cut offs were now extended by 15 minutes. People were eager to get started.
Julie did the first leg for us, Guisborough to Skinningrove. 14 miles. 
We joined her at the start to see her off before driving in the, now thick, fog to Skinningrove, where we sat watching the tracker, following Julie’s progrès out to the coast at Saltburn and then heading to the handover via the cliff tops.






About 10 am I had my lunch. I find starting runs late in the morning difficult in regards of nutrition and expected to be starting at around 11:30.

Right on cue, Julie arrived, she was ahead of 2 of the 17 relay teams. She had run well and made good time. We swapped the tracker from her to me and I set off. A flat start for about 100m and then a gradual and then steep incline, leading to the steps to the cliff top. I had dreaded this start, worried I would let the team down I pushed up the steep, deep uneven steps as fast as I could and then took at least half a mile to steady my heart and breathing. 

The view from the cliff top was limited due to the mist which would roll inland and back to see throughout the day.
I looked back at the village that I had left briefly before tackling the challenge ahead. I ran the flats and downs and attempted some of the less steep sections of narrow cliff paths which were surprisingly dry although the mist covered grass was soaking and covered in tiny water droplets.
Working my way upwards I caught up and passed some of the runners who were completing the full 63 mile distance.

I came across fellow Ripon Runner Victoria who was taking a pic of some amazing dew covered cobwebs that were covering the gorse bushes. I felt I needed to capture the images myself.
I ran with and behind her for a while, her descents far more confident than mine. Together we caught up with Liza who was with another group of runners and we all ran together for a while eventually at a wider section, I passed them and started to descend towards Staithes. I was picking up pace as I was passed by Brenda from another relay team. I couldn’t keep up and had to accept that I was now the penultimate relay runner. I ran my own pace.
Not wanting to be last team I ran hard into Staithes, the streets were reasonably quiet.

I climbed out of the village, pleased to tick off one of my coastal villages. I caught and passed a couple more runners.


I looked back from the cliff tops to the pretty village.My next village was Runswick, 3 miles away. The route was cliff top field sides, rolling. I ran hard and walked to recover, catching and passing others as I went. I Walked to take a gel, just before Runswick and I was passed by a much faster than me, relay runner. Oh no! We were last. I needed to try to up my game. as I approached the checkpoint I started to choke on the smoke of someone’s garden fire, I couldn’t run for coughing. i entered the checkpoint, put my gel wrapper in the bin, turned and left, leaving the other relay runner in the checkpoint. 
I ran down the steep hill to the beach and caught up with Anna and Chris who were fast walking whilst refuelling, Anna offered me a salt and vinegar chip stick which I took, wow! Salt and vinegar wakes up the taste buds. I moved on by salt and vinegar power.

I caught up with Kev and chatted as we crossed the beach. We were passed by the other relay runner. Hmmm! Last again. But onwards and upwards. I followed Kev up the steps, back up to the cliff top. I could not believe how tough these steps were, I was winded by them, but I passed 2 Relay runners who had stopped to admire the view. I had to push on, It took nearly a mile of short runs and long walks to feel like to had my breath back.
The Cleveland Way is well signposted in good visibility.
I caught other runners on route to my next target village, my penultimate one, Sandsend. The steps descending to the cinder path were narrow and steep, I went sideways and hung on to the hand rail.
On the cider path, the running was good, It was further than I remember but finally I descended to Sandsend Carpark to the checkpoint. I was carrying everything that I needed so didnt stop.

I worked my way through the village and caught another runner on the long incline to Whitby. We walked, jogged and chatted into Whitby
Whitby was rammed with people and dogs, I ran hard where I could, weaving through the crowds to the steps. Nearly done. I went up them, weaving through people and jogged past the church, I could see my teammates. Phew! That was me done for today.
We swapped the tracker over and Debbie set off for Hayburn Wyke. I had run 17.3 miles with over 2000ft of ascent in 4 hours. I had lost t 2 places then regained 2 places.
Now to spend the afternoon tracking Debbie, after the traditional top of the steps ice cream of course.




We Went to Hayburn Wyke to wait for the final changeover. We went to check out where the swap would be. Then we went to the hotel for a drink, with a plan to return after Debbies shift for tea. It was closed. We were very disappointed. We could see on the tracker that Debbie was passing runners and a relay runner. She was running well. When she got closer to us we went to the changeover point and cheered the passing runners through. I went down the steps a bit with my head torch, to help Debbie find is. The fog was getting more dense and at 7 pm, the light was already fading under tree cover.


At the top, Julie swapped the tracker from Debbie to Helen and our fastest runner was on the course. 

We went to Filey to get tea and wait for Helen. We went to a pizza restaurant and enjoyed lime and sodas and pizza, I had camembert and ham without the onion chutney. It was massive and I could not finish it.

We wandered down to the seafront to waste time. Passing the post box with it’s lovely hand knitted topper featuring dogs and post boxes.

We went to the Methodist hall. The finish of the Hardmoors 60 for a brew whilst we watched the tracker and Helen’s marker pass through Scarborough. Runners coming in were saying that the fog was really bad. Approaching Filey Brigg, Helen rang and asked if she was on track. I refreshed the tracker and it appeared that she was. A minute or so later, her marker jumped and was well off course. We phoned her and tried to talk her back on track. it was tough as her marker was jumping around. Eventually, she used google maps to get the last few meters on track. We went out to meet her and she shot past us into the hall. 

We were all finished. We collected our t shirts and medals before heading home.


Helen had passed 4 more teams and we finished 10/17 and 1st all lady tream.


 We worked well as a team and I enjoyed it. Would I do it again? Watch this space.

However it was a long day and it felt more pressured than being solo. Thanks to Helen for being the main driver and Debbie for driving for Helen’s leg. And to Julie for organising the team.

No comments:

Post a Comment