Monday 7 October 2024


Sunrise to Sunset with the 35 mile Round Ripon Ultra in between 05/10/2024


Yvonne picked me up as the sun was rising.

We arrived, registered and listened to the race brief.
James the race director and the photographer.
The crowd of athletes listened to his last minute tips.

Ready to go
A couple of miles into the race in bright sunshine.
Barely a cloud in the sky. 


The first field I had worried about, the cattle were away from the track. Phew!
The autumn colours were stunning.
The weir at Slenningford.
Goats at Mickley 
Hackfall, glowing in the sunlight.
Fungi blooming in the dank wood and mud.


Through the old gate pillars.
Up to the view point.
And what a view.
Always a favourite.
Follow the signs with the Spur. 

In the era of the Civil War and Restoration, Ripon’s economic landscape shifted. The town transitioned from textiles to the production of spurs, becoming renowned for their quality. This reputation gave rise to the saying “as true steel as Ripon Rowell.” Spur-making was not just functional but also fashionable, with King James I himself receiving an expensive pair during his stay in Ripon in 1617. James granted Ripon a Royal Charter in 1604 and established the position of the first Mayor of Ripon.


Crossing the River Ure at Masham


Passing by Theakstons Brewery after running through the busy market place.
I love the colours on the way up to the Bivouac.

 

It’s quite a long and undulating road section.
I quite like this section though.
Through the checkpoint and up Ilton Bank.
A steep slog.
But pretty.
With stunning views to detract from the achy legs.


Across a short moorland section.
An interesting feature.
The sun was still shining, it was well gon noon.


A real land mark to mark the passing of the miles, definitely on the way home now.
A sighting tower one side of the lane and a towering bull at the other.
It looks like the sun is bursting from the tower.
Different angle.
Glad there is a gate.
The Mosaic I could not find when I did the mosaic trail .
I do wish signs were removed when the animals are removed. The electric fence was buzzing, 
I scoured the moor as I cautiously crossed it. No cattle.
You could see for miles.
Final checkpoint at the end of this lane.


Ive never noticed th land formation here before.


Eavestone lake, peaceful and calm.


Cute little bridge.


Thanks Kim for sticking with me through the cattle field, after you had caught me up.


Only 1.3 miles to go.
Must be one of the best ever routes for a race finish.
The stags were bellowing.
Finished for the 11th time. 
Always a great day out
And the sun was setting as I headed home to refuel and repack my kit for tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment