Friday 12 July 2013

Outlaw Triathlon Sunday 7th July 2013

OUTLAW 2013
Outlaw is a long distance triathlon; it involves a 2.4 mile open water swim, a 112 mile cycle ride and a 26.2 run. It is organised by One Step Beyond Promotions and is held around the national water sports Centre at Nottingham. It cost £250 to enter and was sold out within 6 days last September there are 1000 places for men, women or relay teams.
I first entered it in September 2010, completing the race on 01/07/2012 in 15:15:24. My husband Billy supported me and decided that he would like a go too. A tough goal, for anyone, especially someone who had never completed a triathlon at that point. So in September 2012 we both entered the amazing experience Outlaw and embarked on 10 months of all consuming training, with Billy trusting my training plan, and so the weekend we’d trained so hard for arrived.
We arrived at the campsite on Friday evening 05/07/13 without drama this year, after breaking down on route last year and finally being towed into camp at 00:30. This meant a more relaxed start to the weekend. Soon our friend John arrived and pitched his tent nearby.
Saturday morning, we were up bright and early thanks to all the early alarm call training over the last couple of weeks making it feel natural to be up and about at 5:00 in the morning. After a full English breakfast to set us up for the day, we headed over to the lake for a wander and a look at the site,
it was very quiet, there were a few runners and cyclists about as the sun rose above Holme Peirrepont lake, It was warm already, so we went to a local supermarket for supplies and more water. When we got back it was still too early to register so we went for a cycle round the lake to check the bikes out, there were lots of geese and they were very reluctant to move from the road.
At 10:30 we went to register, I had an orange band placed around my wrist and was given my hat (yuk pink hats again for the women), an envelope with numbers in, kit bags and my timing chip. John and I went into the expo but Billy was talking to an Outlaw worker, “problem with his pack” John said. At the expo I bought a new race belt, one with a pouch for my inhaler and dextrose tablets. Billy bought new sunglasses; his old ones hurt his nose after a while and a bike top bar bag for his nutrition. Billy introduced me to Helen, an Outlaw worker, “you tweet with her” he said. We then went to the compulsory race briefing; it was red hot already as we stood in the hall sipping water, trying not to sweat (and failing). The briefing covered the swim, bike, run courses, aid stations and transitions, cut off times as well as the finish area. The cut off for the bike was 16:00, panic set in; I have not managed a decent speed on my bike this year and was worried about this cut off more than any other.
Then it was back to the caravan to pack our transition bags then time for lunch. After lunch we gathered our bags and bikes and went and racked. I noticed a lot of people letting some air out of their tyres to prevent them popping in the heat, I did the same, and then armed with bottles of water we set off to drive the majority of the bike route.
I was surprised by how much I remembered, Loops 1+3 were the reverse of loops 2+3 last year so we only drove that once, we were low on water so stopped at the petrol station for more drinks and Magnum lollies, Yum, then we headed north for loop 2, this was last year’s loop 1 the 12% hill seemed ok and again there seemed no issues on route until we reached Southwell where we missed a sign and went the wrong way, “I’m sure we’re meant to turn down there” I said, we tried to get back but it was a one way system but we did end up back on a road with arrows so we continued on our way. Back to camp, for tea.
The end of a busy day,we sat in the caravan and watched a bit of telly before going to bed at about 21:30.

The Big day arrived at 04:00 in our van, we ate breakfast dressed in our tri suits with our wetsuits on our bottom halves, we checked we had goggles hats and chips as we picked up our bike bottles and bike pump and set off across the road to the venue. We put my bottles on my bike and looked up, there was a TV camera and we were asked how we were feeling, don’t really remember my reply, but it was probably stupid and gabbled. We pumped up my tyres and looked up again. There was Sid Ironmorph. He was un suited at that moment and looked really cool and collected.

picture courtesy of Sid Iron morph
We sorted Billy’s bottles and tyres and went to transition to put our shoes in our transition bags. We spoke to John, Richard and Andy, ( more NYPTri ers) ‘Johns trainer’ Dewi was there as a supporter he wished us luck, we all wished each other luck before we separated, heading off each with our own thoughts as we queued to get into the water.
So now there was no more prep, it was time to zip up the neoprene and enter the water, we went for bay 4 because, although on my own I’m a strong swimmer, I panic if someone touches me in the water so my plan was to stay at the back. I put my goggles on and they fell straight to my neck, I located Billy and swapped goggles. We had picked tinted goggles because of the brightness of the sunrise on the right hand side at the top of the lake.
I started to feel sick, I was really nervous, in fact even as I type this that awful sick feeling is happening again, it felt as if my blood was fizzing, my hair was prickling and legs felt like Jelly. But at least the water was warm.
The klaxon went, I started my watch, this was it, we were off, no turning back, 10 months of training in the wind and the rain for one long day of effort.

The swim started ok, I swam front crawl with my head up so that I could see that there was no one near me. I headed diagonally towards the left hand side of the lake. Billy was nowhere in sight and John was just over to my right doing breast stroke whilst he settled in. I found a space and put my head down, the water was very murky, you could hardly see the person next to you, I found myself getting closer and closer to the shore. I was glad I was able to breathe bi laterally as this meant that I did not really need to sight on my left was the bank, on my right I could keep my eye on the other swimmers. I was surprised at how shallow the lake was a couple of times my fingers raked through the slurry in the bottom of the lake. Some people stood to sort goggle issues, or to get their breath, but I was swimming steadily and comfortably. I knew I was not swimming really fast but I needed to conserve as much energy as possible and avoid panic. As I approached the Orange turn buoys I realised how wide I had swum but still took them wide, this was the point where I was crashed into last year, resulting in panic and cramp, this was to be avoided at all costs. As I turned for the last 1500 m to the finish I was stuck behind someone who kept standing up, that was getting on my nerves but there was some one swimming alongside me, I slowed for him to get past and the headed more for the middle of the channel where there was a clear gap as far as I could see, this relaxed me and allowed me to take note of the bikes already leaving the lakeside, I thought I saw Billy but was not sure. As I got closer to the finish other swimmers were getting close to me again I let them passed. As I approached the exit someone put their arm out to pull me out I took it, stubbed my toe but kept moving forwards as someone unzipped me and I made my way over the timing mat and pressed the button on my watch. The clock said 1 hour 37 something, not my fastest swim, in fact my slowest to date, but I had stayed out of trouble, avoided panic and conserved my energy, so 4 mins slower than last year was ok in my mind.

T1 went ok, after a slight struggle to undo the Velcro at the neck of my suit, I worked my suit down to my hips and then down my legs. “Sit down” a helper said, I knew if I did sit that I would struggle to get up “ no, but I’ll hold on to you if you don’t mind”. My right leg was out but the wetsuit stuck on my chip so the helper bent down and pulled suit off my left leg, handed it to me and I ran to my peg in the transition area. The transition area was not too busy so I knew loads of people were out on the bikes already. I located my bags amongst the other identical bags. Took down my swim to run bag, tipped it out and dried my face on my towel and took a swig of flat coca cola. I then struggled into my NYP cycling shirt, it has a slight design fault in my eyes, a half zip rather than a full zip, so it rolled and stuck across my wet shoulders. I squirted sun cream on my arms legs and rubbed some on my cheeks and nose, rammed my helmet on my head, shoved all my stuff in my bag and set off through the tent, halfway through I remembered that I hadn’t swapped my sun cream into my bike/run bag, so went back to do that, then I ran through the tent, left my swim/bike bag at the exit and went to find my bike. I couldn’t run because of the cycling shoes, so just walked. I was surprised to see so many bikes still in transition. I got my bike and walked to the mount up line.

The bike leg started at the bottom of the lake at the mount up point, I went to press the button on my watch to switch from T1 to bike and realised that I had stopped my watch. I pressed the start button and then the lap button twice quickly. I now had no Idea of true distance or time; I just had to get on with it. I mounted the bike and there at the side was Leeky cheering me on, it’s great to see a friendly face. I took my time going around the lake, through the geese that didn’t want to move and ate my nutrigrain bar, it was like eating sawdust but I knew I had to get some carbs on board, preferably ones that could soak up all the fluid that I would need to drink. I was being passed in droves by other cyclists, but once I was on the road, riding passed the campsite, the flow slowed down as I settled into the ride. I approached Radcliffe and started up the railway bridge that was a shock to my legs, my pace dropped and I got out of the seat. Cyclists started to pass me again, I stayed calm and focused, keeping the others in sight and taking it steady to the first feed station at 16 miles. Once passed the feed station, where I did not need to stop, I picked the pace up; it was already warm so I kept dinking steadily alternating between Hi5 energy drink and water. I needed a wee but figured that my body might just absorb it as it was so warm. The route was rolling so there was little relief from peddling, but when there was, oh boy! What a relief. I could only use my cycle computer as a guide as it’s not very accurate, I managed to get up to an average of 17.1 mph so that was probably about 16.5 mph, I then just tried to keep that average, passed the next feed station at 36 miles, I needed a wee, but was ok for water so I rode through and ate ½ a plain bounty and I was off the loop and heading North. As I passed through Car Coulton the race leader went by heading for his third loop. Wow that’s some riding, approaching 80 miles as I was at about 40. Last year we did the northern bit first so it was earlier in the morning and traffic wise quite quiet, this year, because it was later it was very busy with cars so I was reluctant to overtake other riders and mainly sat back and recovered a bit. As I entered the northern loop the sun was high in the sky and there was nowhere to hide, I headed for the on hill in the race, the 12% Oxton Bank and glorious shade, confident in my ability to climb it, but it was not to be, the heat and the past fifty odd miles were taking their toll, It was a real slog getting up and a welcome relief as I emerged from the shade onto the flat. Again I was ok for fluids so rode through the feed station, my average pace had dropped to 16.3 because of sitting back through Lowden and the hill. I picked up the pace and was soon back up to 16.8 mph. Though Southwell the church with twin spires was ringing its bells, what a wonderful sound, the road that we had got wrong on the recce was closed off so no mistakes there. I slowed at the next feed station to swap my water bottle. Soon I was heading out of the loop and back south. 2 laps completed and 1 to go. I stopped at the 80 mile feed station to refill my Hi5 ate a small malt loaf and got moving again, my pace was down to 16.5 mph, I got a steady pace going and suddenly found myself catching people up. By now my feet were aching and I was aware of sunburn on my arms but I was doing well, so just kept going. As I went up a small incline, I stood on the pedals for a bit of relief, Oops! Almost a Tena lady moment, that’s it I gave in, at the 100 mile stop I swapped water bottles and went to the loo. So there you have it, your body does not reabsorb the moisture when it’s hot and you need a wee. I felt much better when I set of and was surprised that I was still overtaking people and did not feel shattered. I was soon heading back to Radcliffe, up a couple of inclines then downhill all the way back. I set the speed sign off at 20 mph, which is better than last year’s 14 mph I couldn’t believe how much better I was feeling than last year. The speed bumps and cattle grid at Holme Pierrepont hall were a nuisance as was the poor road surface, they slowed me down. But I approached the finish there was another NYPTri er, Jon, shouting encouragement. I was happy with a 16.3 mph average on my inaccurate cycle computer. I handed my bike over, crossed the timing matt and pressed lap on my watch.


Heading for T2 I asked could I remove my shoes, not knowing the exact rule on that point, I was told I could, what a relief to run on numb feet into the transition tent, removed my helmet and ran to locate my bag. I was surprised to see that there were still quite a few bags left on the hooks. I sat on the floor, pulled my cycle shirt over my head, squirted sun cream on my arms and legs, changed my socks, pulled on my trainers, got up turned my race number to the front and stuffed my belongings back into the bag, had another squirt of sun cream and jogged out of the tent, dumping my bag on the way out.

The run started at the bottom of the lake, I jogged over the timing mat pressing lap on my watch and set off for my first lap of the lake, first thing was to get a drink and pick up my first wrist band, I jogged along the side of the lake, not far though, it was so hot, I felt like my brain was frying, and the sunburn on my arms was quite uncomfortable. I really wanted to run it all, but it was not happening, I could feel that my heart rate was too high so I walked a bit, I had a short chat to Stu who I had spoken to at a similar point last year, he was on his first long lap and running well. I run/walked to the feed station at the top of the lake, I had Hi5 zero, water cola and an orange segment, Run walk seemed to be the only way forwards at this point. I heard a motor cycle and looked around as the race leader ran past and then another as the leading man ran past, I had to run in case I was caught on camera walking, didn’t last long though I soon needed another walk, so that’s what I did. My hair was plaited and was irritating my neck, so I took a moment to undo it and tie it all on top of my head. My wristband from registration was strangling my arm, it must have slipped up my arm on the bike and now with the sunburn my arm was swelling around it, I tried running with my arm raised that didn’t work, I asked a first aider on a bike if he had scissors to cut it off, he didn’t, as I passed the finish chute I asked the lady at the medical tent to help me with it, she ripped it off, aarh! blessed relief, I went and stood under the water sprayer for a moment before I continued on my journey. 3 miles done. I ran and walked around to the wristband point again, collected my second, had more water and zero. I passed a woman with a lime green race belt, Hmm! That looks familiar, as I got closer I could see that it was a Ripon Black Sheep tri race belt, I chatted a while with Heather from Wakefield Tri club. The leading woman passed as I was going up the lake that second time. After the top feed station I had a chat to Richard from Darlington Tri, we kept each other company until the next feed station at the start of the out and back section, at the junction I saw John, he supported me through the run last year, this year he was volunteering on a feed station. As I started on the riverside path, There was billy, coming towards me. He looked strong, we hugged and moved on in opposite directions. I ran for a while and headed down the riverside, the path was chalky and dusty, adding to the dryness of the air, the sun beat down mercilessly with no respite. The track was busy with runners and walkers going both directions as well as members of the public walking and cycling too, children squealed as they played in the river, it was so inviting, then there was a man with a garden spray, spraying people as they passed, that was nice. I continued my run/walk strategy to the next feed station, more water, zero and cola. The zero tasted nasty but I took it like medicine because I knew that I needed the salts. The next section was shaded, I found it a bit easier to run this section although I wondered if I shouldn’t walk the shade to maximise the time out of the blazing sun, and run the un-shaded sections to minimise the exposure time, but that was by the by as I emerged back into bright sunlight before I’d even finished thinking about it. So I walked a bit. Under a bridge, in front of the football ground, under another bridge, in front of County hall and the point where we turned last year. There were a lot of people offering encouragement sitting on the grass, having barbeques and picnics “well, done” “good Luck” “keep going” they called as they clapped. New territory now, I could see a bridge ahead and that was the crossing point, apparently it was a suspension bridge, and I was in suspension with nerves anticipating it. There was a timing mat, “I could run over it” I said, “but to be honest I can’t be bothered” just over 9 miles. I turned the corner and started onto the bridge, it felt pretty solid I was relieved, then someone ran past me and it quivered under my feet, I felt instantly nauseas. “Get a grip” I told myself as I reached the middle and I was passed by people going both directions, I wanted to just stop, to sit down and cry like a baby. I bit my lip and clenched my fists focusing on the end of the bridge. I was so relieved to get off it. I jogged to the feed station where I picked up a discarded bottle; I filled it with water and set off along the embankment. There was a man and woman there, they were filling a bucket with river water and offering to sponge people down, Brr! The water felt freezing as it ran from my neck down my back. I jogged on, it felt easier now that I was a little cooler, but the cones that separated the out and back seemed to go on forever, finally there was the turn point, I ran down the embankment, but had to walk back up the other side of the cones. I set off back along the embankment and passed a sign with 20 mi9les on it, “I wish” I muttered out loud. Then there was the sponge man again, I let him really soak me this time, the water was freezing as he poured it over me but it did the job. Cooler I jogged off thanking him. Soon I came to the sign with 10 miles on; I couldn’t believe that was all I had done, but cooler now I was running again. At the next feed station I had a jaffa cake and a couple of plain crisps, before going under the suspension bridge along the embankment. I thought I would have to run as far down the embankment this side of the bridge as I had the other, so I was pleasantly surprised to turn quite quickly and head for the bridge. I walked as I got onto the bridge and was concentrating on getting over it when there in front of me was Andy, we exchanged how tough it was with the heat and went in opposite directions, him heading for that 20 sign me back to the lake. I ran across the timing mat and there was Billy again, gosh he was running well, I had to get a shift on or he’d be lapping me. As I passed by the football ground again I saw John, he looked well, running along. In the shady bit I saw a lady who was power walking a nice steady pace, “Well done, good pace” I said. I was flagging again as reached the next feed station, but they soaked me in river water. I refilled my water bottle had Hi5 and set off at a gentle jog soon I saw Sid in his Morph suit, gosh he must have been hot in that, but he was in good spirits, we hugged and moved on, before long I was approaching the lake again, I collected wristband 3 and set off, I had to walk, the heat by the lake was way worse than by the river. I trickled water from my bottle through my hair and down my back, I was shocked that the water felt warm when I drank it but freezing on my scalp, I jogged and walked to the next feed Station, past the 25 mile mark, but that wasn’t for me, it would be for Billy though, I thought that If I timed it right I would be able to see him finish before I set off on my last lap. Soon I passed the 15 mile marker, that’s better, more than half way, soon be over now, I approached the finish line the cries from the announcer of “ you are an” and the replies from the crowd of “Outlaw” were almost constant as walkers joined with their partners and/or children and ran down the finishing chute. I looked around; there was no sign of Billy, so I set off on my final lap, past the medical tent with the garden spray, over the timing mat along the bottom of the lake, to the score board, back along the river path, stopping at each and every feed station, “we’re going to do it” I told one man as we walked together a while, “I don’t know” he said. “You can do this, it’s the last lap, run walk or crawl this is it” I said and I jogged on. At the next feed station as I was leaving he was arriving, there was suddenly a flurry of movement from the marshals, I looked around to see the man slumped against the gazebo. I don’t know if he did complete Outlaw, I hope he did. I ran through the shady bit, under the bridge, past the football ground, walked under the next bridge past last year’s turn point at county hall, and jogged over the timing mat and onto the suspension bridge. I walked again over the bridge, forcing myself onwards when it wobbled, I ran off it with relief. I refilled my water bottle at the next feed station and thanked the helpers, had some crisps and set off knowing I was heading for the 20 mile marker, but I couldn’t run. “Come on me” I said out loud, “10 cones, ready, GO! 1 cone, 2 cones, 3 cones, 4 cones, 5 cones, 6 cones, 7 cones, 8 cones, 9 cones, 10” I walked again, I speed walked 5 cones and ran 10 counting out loud until I was back to the feed station, I had a jaffa cake and carried on, ever onwards, don’t stop, don’t give in, nearly there. Back over that horrible bridge for the last time, over the timing mat and along past county hall, under the bridge passed the football ground under the other bridge and into the shady bit. I met john again as he was leaving the feed station and I was entering it, he still looked good. I got a soaking, refilled my bottle and took a half banana and set off, I removed the peel and went to put it in the bin, some missed, I bent to pick it up, “argh! Don’t bend down” the marshals cried. “Don’t worry, I have all you to pick me up if needed” we all laughed as I went on my way. Soon I met the lady who was speed walking, I was surprised, I thought she would have been finished, I had assumed that she was on her 2 nd lap when I had seen her earlier. “Well done” I said. Soon I saw Sid again, Morphman was still going, I was glad to see him, we hugged and went our separate ways. I was soon back at the lake collecting my 4th and last wrist band, this was it, it was nearly over, I speed walked and jogged up the lake, there was now a welcome breeze to help cool me as I poured water over my overheating scalp. I was soon at the last feed station and that 25 sign was for me. I set myself little run goals, that bin to that concrete slab, that shed to the patch of grass, that pile of goose poo to that group of people, I was approaching the finish, a long day almost over, the crowd roared there was a lump in my throat, the man in front collected his children and set off on the red carpet, I ran passed him, the announcer said “ this is Helena Conlin, she did this last year and told us she was going to carry the Olympic torch, which she did. This year she is celebrating her 25 th wedding anniversary, and she doesn’t know it yet but she has a surprise waiting for her”. There was Billy waiting by the finish line, I high fived him and grabbed the finish tape, then there was Helen with Billy, he said that we were going to renew our vows, it was all arranged. It took a while for it to sink in. Helen said I could have some time to get some food and a drink, would 21:15 for the renewal be ok? Billy came with me to collect my medal and t shirt and we went upstairs for some food. I questioned Billy all about the renewal, he said he’d been arranging it for months and that some of our friends knew about it and that Jill and Matt had come for it. I couldn’t believe it.

The vow renewal was to be at the end of the grandstand by the finishing chute. I was worried that it would steal some of the competitors thunder as they finished this amazing race. Helen assured me that it was Ok. She told me that she’d cleared a space and even found some flowers (2 garden troughs). There was Jill, she was going to do the renewal. She took me aside and let me pick what I would like to say from some she had prepared earlier. The announcer told the crowd what was about to happen and some of the spectators moved our way, then it was time, as the sun was setting over Holme Pierrepont lake, the ceremony started. Billy and I stood to one side as Jill asked the spectators (our witnesses) to stand and welcome us, we went and stood in front of her as she said some words, (it’s all a blur)and the Ch4 TV cameras were suddenly there too as we repeated the words Jill said, and exchanged rings ( new rings, white gold with Gu Brath, which means forever in Gaelic, on them) the rings did not go all the way on as our hands were still swollen from the race, (but they’re on now) we kissed and did a short interview for the camera. What a surprise/shock I’m still getting over it now.
Picture courtesy of Helen @OutlawTriathlon
We then went to cheer John in, and whist we were cheering other Outlaws in, I saw Zoe, the speed walker she had probably run most of it but she was speed walking both times that I had seen her, she looked so pleased to finish. Jill and Matt went up the lakeside to meet John and we waited with Dewi, (Dewi had been a great support, popping up on the run with words of encouragement) for them to arrive, the mosquitoes were horrid they bit my legs, Soon enough there was John coming towards us his distinctive running style could be spotted from a distance, Jill and Matt left him to enter the finish chute, “here is John Bull” the announcer said, “67 years old, he completed Comrades last year now that’s a marathon shuffle, John is 2 nd in his age category” we laughed at the ‘marathon shuffle’ comment, Bully always runs like that.
We then went and collected my bags and bike, Billy collected Johns for him and we headed back to the caravan, I was a little chilly for the first time that day. Matt and Jill came with us, we had a drop of champagne each and Billy and I thanked them as they headed to their digs and we headed back to catch the last finishers. As we neared the finish there was an almighty roar, we thought that we had missed the last finished, but we were told that there were still a couple out there. We made our way to the finish and joined the crowds for the last 2 finishers. We’d missed Sid, I was gutted, but I hoped that he had got lots of publicity for his Poppyfields charity for the Birmingham’s children’s Hospital by completing Outlaw, long distance triathlon in a morphsuit. We went back to the caravan, where I showered and changed, we finished the champagne, and so ended an amazing, emotional weekend.

I would like to thank all of the organisers, marshals and spectators well as the other competitors for a brilliant weekend. Outlaw is a fantastic event and it is made that way by fantastic people.

Time this year;
14:40:05 a PB of over 35 mins
HAPPY WITH THAT

2 comments:

  1. Well done. I'm so in awe of your accomplishment. Great write up too.

    ReplyDelete