Monday 11 March 2013

Some weeks are just harder than others

Sometimes things just don't go to plan. For a start I'm writing this a day late.
Last week took its toll, so it's a good job that this week was a recovery week. Monday I swam and Tuesday was running club, not running for 2 days showed, I had a great run and as I was behind in my run mileage , I ran the long way home to make up 10 miles. Wednesday was sports massage. Libby sorted my last niggle, and although I would have liked her to work on my almost permanently painful shoulder, on Saturday I had turned my left ankle within the first 3 miles of the race and as usual carried on. Even though I had had a good club run the previous night my leg had been painful, so, my leg got the Libby treatment. Ouch! It was a little tender, and the shoulder had to wait (can't run 2013 miles on my shoulder). I have made another appointment so my leg better get better soon so my shoulder can be sorted.
Thursday was club training, my leg was tender so I took it easy (ish). Thursday was also my eldest son's birthday and his daughter was due that day. I was never far from my phone waiting for news. I didn't come. Friday I rested my leg and went for a mega swim instead. Still no baby news. Saturday was a rotten day weather wise, but 50 miles cycle was the plan. Billy and I waterproofed ourselves up the best we could, 2 laps of Ripon Tri bike route would do. I struggled to keep up with Billy, but he kept waiting for me, this meant him getting cold. The weather was deteriorating further, so we decided that 1lap was enough and headed home. We still managed just short of 30 miles. We got home to texts from son telling us that labour had started. This made for a distracted day.
Later that evening, for no apparent reason, my back started to hurt. This has happened a couple of times before, both times leaving me barely able to walk, sit or lay down. I went to bed but could not sleep, the baby had not arrived so the phone was by my bed (I never normally do that. My phone is normally turned off and left downstairs) I could not turn without waking and occasionally my phone would ping. Finally at 3:45 the text arrived, we were now grandparents, our granddaughter had waited until Mother's Day to arrive, at 0:42.
In the morning, i was so tired. I considered not running, but my running miles were down for the week and I don't want to let people down, so I decided to head to Studley and do 3 Church Gate and back laps. If it was too painful I could return home at any point. The run went ok, even though every time I turned at the gate, I turned into a headwind and snow flurries, but my back never ached and my leg was hardly painful. 10 miles done.
Later we headed to Harrogate for fish and chips at Graveleys fish restaurant, yummy followed by an amazing warm chocolate brownie with chocolate sauce and vanilla ice cream, before we went to the hospital to meet out gorgeous granddaughter.
A tough week, tired, injured, excited and nervous, but it was all good in the end.
Run miles 24.53 placing me in Ghent, Belgium in my Virtual Ripon To Moscow challenge, 413 miles done 1600 miles to go.



No comments:

Post a Comment