Monday 2 December 2013

Percy Pud 10km

Sunday first December, advent (arrival) at last after 4 years, I finally have a new 10km PB.
My friends and I have competed in the Percy Pud 10km, run by the Sheffield Striders and held at Loxely for the past 5 years, the first three years we dressed up, and the last 2 years we have worn Christmas pudding hats. Vicky swears hers is lucky, no mine is too. Not that I raced in mine, it was mild yesterday, it would have cooked my tiny brain.
The race started at 9:30 so it meant an early start, Billy drove, though he didn't race and we took Annette and met Vicky and Andy there.
One of my highlights of this race is the portaloos, they're on uneven ground, so when I use them I wonder if I'd ever get out if it tipped up.
This year there were pacers, Sally was 50 mins, I decided that I wouldn't be running with her, but as I have always run the race in around 55 mins, I decided to run near the 55 min man. I set off behind him and wondered if I'd ever catch him as he seemed to run very quickly, but slowly I gained on him as we ran towards the dam, just after the dam I ran with him a while and then passed him, right I thought, If I stay ahead I'll be sub 55, chance of a PB. Just before the turning point he got ahead again, and at the water station he started to get away from me, I ran a bit harder, but I could feel that was too hard, I slowed a bit, but slowly caught and overtook again. As we reached the dam on the way back, I was still ahead for the long incline to the finish line. I pushed onwards, it was only a mile or so to the end, I dreaded seeing the pacer pass me again as this was my limit, I could see the finish, away in the distance, focused on it and one foot in front of the other, it got closer and then I was running through the crowds to the finish. I stopped my watch. I ran to Billy for a finish pic, looked at my watch and was delighted to see a 53 on the front, 53:52 a PB. On the way home I got a text with my official chip time 53:43, even better. And we all got Christmas puss for our efforts.
My old PB was at the Leeds Abbey Dash in 2009 54:32
Andy got a PB too, it was a good running day.

After we arrived home and had some lunch, I cycled to Knaresborough on my road bike. It was nice to be out on the road bike again, the sun shone, and I was toasty warm in my Michelin man gear.
I road home a longer route making 30 miles.
I finished my day with 30 mins of yoga.

184 miles left of the 2013 miles in 2013 challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment