Friday 29 November 2013

Two month catch up

Well, what can I say? I have been lapse in my blogging. The last time I blogged it was about the Robin Hood Marathon at the end of September and at that time I was feeling pretty fed up about this years challenge. I was way behind my target mileage, even though the marathons and triathlons were up to date, I just seemed to be falling further and further behind with the 2013 miles, and I was so tired.
When I started this challenge I would have to run 38.72miles a week but week after week I was not hitting target and at the beginning of October I was faced with having to run 47.58 miles every week for the last 13 weeks of the year. I felt that it was becoming an impossible task. I was always tired running almost daily as well as walking, cycling and swimming. I was out on my Monday morning run on 7 Oct, and because I'd been in Londan at the weekend, supporting Billy at the Royal Parks half marathon, my legs were reacting well to the run after 2 days rest. I came up with the plan to run 12 miles 4 times a week, unless racing, but to aim for 48 miles a week. It seemed the only option.
The new plan worked, I was managing 50+ miles a week and having 3 days run rest.
On 20 October it was the Yorkshire marathon, I ran Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, clocking up 34 miles and on Sunday ran the marathon. I didn't think it would be a great day for me because of the mileage that I gad already completed that week, bug how wrong I was. It was a great marathon, great organisation, great course, though not flat as advertised. I worked my way back a pen, and then to the back of that pen,behind the 4:30 marker. My plan was to stay with the 4:30 marker bug knew Id set off too quick, so set off behind him.
We worked our way to the start and a lovely downhill got my legs going and I soon caught up and overtook the 4:30 marker. "Right" I thought, as long as I keep ahead of him I'll be quicker than 4:30. I felt I was running well slowly overtaking people, often running alongside and chatting to them along the way.. At 20 miles I was shocked to see Billy and Martin, walking, they were struggling as it was warmer than anticipated, now I had to keep ahead of them too. I pushed ever onwards, I turned a corner towards the end and the lovely downward sweep that had got my legs going at the start, was now about to test my tired legs. It felt like a mountain bug I kept onwards and soon I was at the 26 mile mark and ran for it. Bad move, I went way too early and even though Zi was overjoyed at finishing, I could hardly breathe. When I recovered and looked at my watch I was amazed to have run it in 4:24:25. My third fastest I thought with Manchester 2012 my PB at 4:16 and Manchester 2013 at 4:22 I was very happy, even happier when I got home and checked and realised Manchester 2013 was actually 4:28 making York my second fastest ever marathon.
I kept up my 4 day running program throughout October and clocked up 242 miles, things were looking up.
At the end of October Billy Martin and I meg with a Tri coach. We have got a coach to help us with next years challenge of Outlaw and the Ironman Wales 50 days later.

November started with a more positive attitude, the Guy Fawkes 10 miler was on the 3rd. Starting at Ripley, the mainly road race takes in a few big hills and over the 4 years I had done it I'd never managed to run them all. This year I did, I ran all the hills and finished 2 min quicker than ever before.very happy.
The new Triathlon training plan started on the 4th. This might affect my running, I completed so many miles in October because I hadn't swum and had only cycled to work. Now I was going to be swimming, cycling and doing core fitness.
I had the Goathland marathon on the 9th and so only ran Monday and Tuesday, resting then for Saturdays trail marathon. On We'd, the girl taking me let me know that she was I'll and would not be able to make it. I put out a plea for a lift on the race's Facebook page and wax offered a lift from a very nice man from Knaresborough. He is an Outlaw and we had loads in common, which was great. He picked me up at 6:45 on the race morning and we headed out over the North York moors to Goathland. The marathon was great, Fantastically organised and marked, great Marshall's and cake all the way round. At each cake point I had a small square of caramel shortbread and a mini chocolate iced donut with sprinkles on, washed down with cola it was the biz for slogging up big hills and running over boggy moors, it was all great fun and I finished the 27.5 miles in 6:01:45.

On 17th I headed to Askrigg with Billy and Martin for the Wensleydale Wedge, a 23 mile challenge. Martin and I did it last year but it was first time for Billy. I set off quick to get through the early crowded styles and then as we all settled into our pace, Billy and Martingale got ahead on the first big incline, I couldn't keep up but I kept on tring. At the first proper food checkpoint they were nowhere to be seen I went to the loo, grabbed a drink and some food and set off again, I soon caught 2 Ripon Runners, I tried to keep up and eventually ran the rest of the way with one of them, John. We'd made it back in under 5 hours, I was amazed because that was 46 min quicker than last year. Only 7 min behind Billy and Martin.
November has just about finished now and I'm resting for a 10 km race on Dec 1st.
Monthly mileage was 186 miles plus I did my training plan too. My race results for Oct and Nov were great, so I am about to head into December facing 41 miles a week. Much better than 8 weeks ago.
190 miles to run, now including a 10 km race, a 30 mile trail race and a 8 mile race. It will fly by.

3 comments:

  1. Truly truly mind blowingly awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will be you next year Sid, remember to rest as well as. Run, as you can see it makes it easier

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so pleased that the resting between runs is working for you Lena, you're doing sooo well. Good luck with December and those last few miles, you're amazing!

    ReplyDelete