Monday 30 September 2013

Ikano Robin Hood Marathon 29/09/13

Early start for this one. I was going with Ripon Runners clubmates, Emma, Donna and Claire. Emma picked me up at 05:20, we then picked up Donna and Claire, it was pitch black, a real sign that summer was almost over. We headed down the A1 to the M1 chattering excitedly about our challenges ahead as the skies lightened. We stopped at Woodall services for a comfort break and emerged to a gorgeous pink sky criss croosed with airoplane trails and a sun erupting over the horizon like a flaming orange. Back in the car we made our way to Nottingham and The Riverside Inn by Trent Bridge, where we were parking and meeting Emma's twin sister, Sally. It was their birthday,and what better way to celebrate than doing what you love, running.
We visited the portaloos then went to get race ready. We were really early so sat in the car for a while. Soon the lure of the loo was too strong, honestly what is the point of trying to hydrate when all you do is wee. The nearest loo was 20p, 20p! To spend a penny? Goodness me, anyway it was one of them newfangled things. We joined the queue but it was a slow process with the cleaning process between customers, so, curious as we were to investigate this contraption, we gave up and headed along the embankment for the race village and the numerous portaloos, where long queues shrunk quickly. Relieved we headed to investigate the finish area and arrange a meet up point for after the race. 
We headed for the start pens. Emma and Donna went to the red pen, they're very quick runners, I was impressed by Donna's cool, calmness as she went to embark on her first marathon. Claire and I were in the blue pen, Claire was doing the half and had a solid blue number and me I had a blue stripy number because I was doing the full. We stood near the front chatting to other runners when a pacer arrived, I looked up, 1:50, he was for half marathoners. I wished Claire luck and moved further back, the other pacers were well back. I decided to take it steady and join the 4:15 pacer as they passed. It was quiet where I stood, everyone absorbed in their own race plans. Soon we moved forwards towards the line, then we were over the mat, I started my watch and got on with it, running along the embankment. It was very busy, I was constantly being passed by people running really quick, I felt ok, so kept going but if felt as if I was going backwards. Slow down I thought, this is too quick, by 3 miles I was running slower but still was being overtaken at a great rate of notts.
 Approacing 6 miles I thought, I know where this is, it's the Kilomathon start from the Worlds first Kilomathon, Nottingham to Derby in 2010. The last time I was there the fences were covered by men going for a wee, not nice for the owners of the flats to wake up to on a Sunday morning, I wondered if that was why the 2011 Kilomathon never ran from Nottingham, it was just in Derby. We ran past the park and where the baggage buses had been and turned into the grounds of what I was told later was the University, what a lovely place, then we went round a little lake and I was reminded of the Newcastle Town Moor marathon. As the 4:15 pacer passed, I didn't have a hope in hell of keeping up. I let them go and decided to just go my own pace.
It was getting warm and I was drinking loads. But still felt warm. As we approached 12 miles we turned back onto the embankment, Oh! This doesn't feel right. I looked around and was surrounded by solid coloured numbers. Oh no! Have I missed the split off, I slowed and started to go back. I saw another striped number, he was sure we hadn't missed it, I ran with him and soon we heard half to the left, full to the right, Phew! Relief! We turned right and under Trent Bridge, then we went through a housing estate, that seemed wierd. I knew I was fading as even though there were hardly any runners now, they were all overtaking me and I couldn't do anything to prevent it. At this point the route out, ran alongside  the route back. I started to look for Donna and Emma, there were not many runners and some of them were looking tired, then there they were, running together, looking comfortable and as if they were having a great time. I shouted to them that I was going to be slower than I'd hoped, 4:30-4:40. I thought 13 miles would never appear, but at last, there it was. Half way. I felt better than this when I finished the Great a North Run a fortnight ago. Still I just had to get on with it. By 15 the battle really started, everything hurt. I forced myself to run, I hadn't run this far since the Minster to Minster marathon in August. As I approached Holme Pierrepont I saw the campsite where we stay for Outlaw, I welled up, all the memories of July 7th came flooding back as I ran along the road that goes around the outside of the grounds. We'll turn in soon to the lake, then I'll be on the Outlaw route to the finish.,At 19 miles I noticed that even running I was not gaining on the walkers ahead. Right, time to swallow my pride and walk a bit. I knew I could walk a decent pace, so I did for a while, then when I ran again, I started to gain and overtake some of the walkers, so I run/walked the next 4 miles, then I managed to run along the riverside and under the footy ground, There were lots of people cheering me on, I wanted to stop, but I was determined to run the suspension bridge, I never managed it at Outlaw., I approached and just went for it, through the crowds leaving the event and off the other side. I set off along the embankment. I knew this was an out and back, but still it sapped my will and I walked a bit more. As I finally saw the turn point I ran again, painfully slow, I could hear my trainers scuffing on the ground, the marathon shuffle, but I was getting closer to the end. As I approached the turn into the finish chute, I could hear my name and there were Claire Donna and Claire's husband Chris, I forced myself to pick up the pace and high 5 d them as I passed, I wanted to stop, the finish chute was ridiculously long, and then, there were the grandstands, almost empty now, turn the corner, the clock read 4:58 something, quick, get under 5 hrs, under the clock, over the mat, switch off watch. 4:51:27.
It had taken 6 mins to cross the line at the start. It was over, relief and exhaustion took over, I collected my medal, some juice, lucozade and water then my goodybag and a banana. A scout leader thanked me for running for British Lung Foundation, she explained that she was Lung foundation nurse.
All the way round people asked about my challenge, I tried to give them figures but my brain was mince. So my mileage was not accurate, but here it is. 1394 miles, which places me in Belarus, the last country to cross before Russia.
I was met by Donna, Claire and Chris, Emma was with her family at the Riverside. Claire had got a PB on the half 1 hr 46 and Donna's first marathon had ended with an awesome 3 hr 24 time and 4th or 5 th female. Emma had done 3hr 26 a PB by over 5 mins, but sadly Sally had got an injury and taken the decision to pull out, she has a big fell race next week so is saving herself for that, then Amsterdam marathon. Hope you are well Sally, good luck next week and I hope you get your sub 3 hr goal in Amsterdam.
Well that's it, another marathon over, 21st since my first ever in Edinburgh 2010 that includes 3 ultras and the marathons at the end of my 2 Outlaws, 10th this year, only 3 more to go this year, hope they're better than this. Suddenly the mileage is starting to catch up with me

4 comments:

  1. Marathons are pesky things... And writing about them can be (almost) as hard. Well done on both accounts.
    I tipped over the 5 hour mark by 18 mins.
    You really racking up the miles. Nice one :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done on completing, it was not an easy marathon at all

      Delete
  2. 10 marathons this year - I'm not surprised that your legs are feeling it. Well done - another great effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks L. I'm looking forwards to my rest in January now

      Delete