Monday 8 April 2013

Never,ever give up

Week 14 was a challenging week. First week of school holidays, so I was all set to cycle loads. Tuesday I set off to explore the new cycle path from Ripley to Bilton Road, Harrogate. The tough bit was getting to Ripley and back. It's a while since I've been out on the road bike so the first four miles were spent dreading Howe Hill. The road was appalling with potholes and crumbling a surface. The hill was not too bad actually but a later hill was tough and the road surface was appalling, I dreaded coming back down it. The cycle path was nicely tarmaced and well used by dog walkers this made things difficult because people with hoods up and earphones in cant hear you coming behind and dogs can be unpredictable, but it was an enjoyable cycle.

Views from the old viaduct over the Nidd gorge.

On the way home a rode through Markington to avoid that badly surfaced hill, approaching Howe Hill again I started to look forwards to the downhill sweep from Aldfield. Unfortunately that downhill sweep was a battle against strong head winds.
Later Tuesday I struggled at running club and my ankle was sore. I think the shims in my cycle shoe are part of the problem. I have now removed them.
Wednesday was a dogjog, Thursday's club training was at Studley. I chose to run the 2 miles there to warm my leg, and it helped. It was hills though, tough tough tough, especially the section where we went up a steep embankment and being a big wus about steep hills and heights, I had to fight panic, I couldn't look down or Id have frozen to the spot. I was relieved to reach the top. Afterwards I ran home.
Friday was rest day, then Saturday I did a short Dogjog to warm my legs before we took Jed to the kennels and we set off for Blackpool.
We arrived in Blackpool at lunchtime and were lucky enough to find a parking space for the car, we booked in the B&B, The Glenroy Hotel, and went to collect our marathon numbers. Billy still did not know if he would run, he's been struggling with his breathing since Trollers Trot, a month ago and has barely done any running. He would decide in the morning.
We then walked wandered along the promenade as we headed into town for lunch. We went to Bella Italia near the Winter Gardens. We booked in for tea too. After lunch we looked around the shops and went back to our room for a couple of hours before tea.




Race day arrived and Billy decided to run. We went for breakfast, toast an coffee, Pat the owner said that we could come back after the race to shower and change and he would give us sausage and bacon sandwiches, We then walked 2 streets to the football ground for the race. We didn't take bags because the digs were so close. The sun was shining but it was cold so we wore bin liner for warmth. We had a little jog around to warm up and then joined the runners waiting to start. Billy started near the front but I don't like being too close to the front, (I don't like being jostled by faster runners pushing through)so we wished each other luck and I headed nearer the back of the crowd. We were a little late setting off, just after 9:35. The race was started by Dr Ron Hill,he was going to run the first 8 miles, he was still at the start as I crossed the mat. He passed me at 3 miles comfortably moving through the pack. There were quite a few runners as there was a half and a full marathon.


The course was 2 laps, starting at the football ground and heading south for 2 1/2 miles before a turn in the road and heading north for 6 and a bit miles up the sea front before turning and running back, just over 12 miles the half marathoners split off leaving the marathoners to start the 2nd lap. The turn in the road had move a bit further ant the field was now very spread out as out of the 1700 runners just over 600 were doing the marathon. This meant for a lonely 2nd lap.
Fortunately I had seen Billy running well at each of the turning points so that was a relief, he was well ahead of me, a couple of miles at the 14/15 mile point. I never saw him at the last turn, I just hope that he was ok. For most of the race I was running with an older gentleman, we were never far from each other but never spoke. Spectators were sparse, particularly on the long northerly stretch, where again the turn point had moved further away. My legs were tired and. Had needed a wee since about 10 miles, but there were no loos except at tram stops if you had 20p (I didn't) the wind was in our faces the whole way up the promenade so I was struggling to keep my breathing under control, my belly hurt with needing a wee and my calves were trying to cramp. In reality my body was crying STOP, but that want happening. I should have taken my inhaler, but I was determined not to give in. Just after 24 miles I walked the last water stop to try and get as much fluid on board as possible, and my asthma won, I took my inhaler but the rhythm had gone from my legs and I had to run/walk the last mile or so as my silent running parter kept his pace an disappeared into the distance. Even though the Blackpool streets were crowded they were not there for the marathon supporters were few and far between, but those that were supporting were great, finally the Manchester pub came into view and I turned towards the Football ground, I was relieved to see the finish line and Billy sitting nearby with his finishers bag. "And here's ....' The commentator checked the start list "...Helena (Sunday name)from Ripon" as I crossed the line. "Wait a minute" he said " What's does it say on your shirt?" He caught my arm. I was worried he thought Id run on someone else's number because my shirt says Lena on the front."Running 2013 miles in 2013 for the British Lung Foundation, you are amazing" he then let me go and collect my medal and goody bag.
I then saw my silent partner, we walked out together and passed the time of day and discussed the race, the we separated, him to his wife and me to Billy.
I can't believe he had not been back to the digs for warm clothing, he'd waited an hour for me. He got a pb of 3:46:11 and I got 4:44:06. We made our way back to our digs, where Pat the owner gave us bacon and sausages and told us there was no rush.


We went up to shower and change, then I got the shakes and had to lie down a while. But after a coffee and some food I perked up, had a shower and we set off home.
We'd had a good weekend, we both agreed that we would go back to The Glenroy Hotel, Pat was a great host, but we weren't to sure about doing the marathon again, it was tough. If you would like to stay there the address is 10 Trafalgar Road Blackpool 01253 344607

As far as the challenge goes, I ran 42 miles this week including my April marathon. Bringing my run total to 546 miles this year.


4 comments:

  1. What gorgeous photos! Blackpool looked way nicer than usual on Saturday... I am in awe of you completing the marathon, that stretch along the bottom was hideous to me and I really can't imagine having to do it twice. Shudder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awful. Never seemed to end. And when they'd moved the turn point, sole destroying x
      Well done on the half, even once was tough x

      Delete
  2. Well done - incredible effort especially given your ankle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete