Friday 16 April 2010

The first half of a year of running

In January 2009, 2 new girls joined the club, we hit it off instantly, we were all quite new to running. I entered a local race series called the Black Sheep Series http://www.blacksheepraceseries.co.uk/ so they did too. we also started entering most local races.
On 13th January, whilst out running with Ripon runners, I fell over a tree root in the dark and blooded both knees , my right elbow and broke the little finger on my left hand. I didn't run for 6 days then got back to it
The first race we entered was a local 10k called St. Wilfred's Muddy boots http://www.ukresults.net/09feb.html on 8th Feb, a multi terrain race. The title would normally say it all but on this occasion there was snow and frost instead of mud. I had the strapping removed from my finger the Friday before the race.
Time 71 minutes and 48 seconds.
On that morning I stood on the scales at 14 stone 5 lb and decided that enough was enough, I was running miles and still getting heavier I was going on a diet
Next was Arkendale 10k http://www.musttriharder.net/, 29th March, mixed terrain. Time 63 minutes 18 seconds.
Next was the first race in the Black Sheep Series, the Fountains 10k http://www.fountains10k.co.uk/ again mixed terrain an undulating (hilly). This clashed with a weekend in Carlisle at a tattoo convention, so after 2 late nights and copious amounts of alcohol and an early start to get back to Ripon I did brilliant.
Time 62 minutes 46 seconds.
For the May day bank holiday, my husband and i went to Kendal for the long weekend. On the Sunday he drove me to Keswick, where I entered on the day for a 1/2 marathon. http://www.keswickhalfmarathon.co.uk/I'd never tried this distance before, but no-one except my husband knew I was doing it so if I did badly no-one need know. It was very hilly but I set myself the target of doing 8 miles without stopping. It was hard. Up up up and all the way behind me there was a woman with a buggy, I couldn't shake her.
At around 8 miles i was flagging when a man outside a pub shouted "Come on Ripon".( I had my Ripon Runners vest on). that spurred me on a bit longer, but as we were climbing this hill that felt like it was going on for ever, a car reversed right in front of me stopping me in my tracks, I couldn't get going again so I walked the rest of that hill and the woman with the buggy passed me. The next few miles saw wind rain, hailstones and bright sunshine, me and buggy woman kept passing each other, until at 12 miles I was done I let her go and just ran my own race, behind a woman with a Buggy.
Time 2 hours 18 minutes 9 seconds happy with that. so I told everyone about it.
The local running clubs have a league and they have races mid week, so I took part in those. the first was at Thirsk 4.6 miles.
Time 46 minutes 05 seconds.
Ripon 10 mile, another Black Sheep race was next, multi terrain and undulating.
Time 1 hour 43 minutes 18 seconds.
Next my 2 friends and I went to Newby Hall near Ripon to run a 10k for cystic fibrosis. multi terrain.
Time 60 minutes 43 seconds. Getting close to under the hour now.
Another league race at Wetherby was next, 5.4 miles on a flat cycle path.
Time 52 minutes 26 seconds.
Melmerby 10k, fast and flat was the description of this Black Sheep race, so on a very sunny bank holiday weekend I went out to get my 10k time to under an hour. It was unusually warm and not particularly flat.
Time 60 minutes 02 seconds, so close but so far.
By now i had got my weight down to 12 stone 7 lb, through running and watching what I ate.
Another league race at Harrogate this time, 5.8 miles, seriously hilly.
Time 57minutes 21 seconds

2 comments:

  1. A lovely account of the ups and downs of running. I used to do a bit so can relive it!
    There is a lovely event 20k near here, the "Krusovice Barrel". It starts at the oak tree in Stochov reputedly planted by the grandmother of St. Wenceslas when he was born around 911 and finishes in the village of Krusovice at the Krusovice brewery. The winner gets a barrel of beer but there is free beer for all runners.
    I did it once and really enjoyed the atmosphere...Tramp

    ReplyDelete