Tuesday 27 April 2010

2009 cont

Wow didn't realise how time consuming this would be just to get up to date. Now where was I?
The next race was another in the Black Sheep Series, 10k at Kirkby Malzeard, mainly road, undulating with a grass finish.
Time 57 min 44 sec, WAHAY I did it, 10k in under an hour.
One Thursday night we travelled to Richmond for another league race. Multi terrain, Undulating, 5.6 miles with the biggest , steepest hill I had ever tackled, as i approached it i could see better runners than me bent almost double walking up it so i judged that it was ok to walk it.
Time 53min 59 sec.
Staveley Stampede, 10 miles multi terrain, undulating. This one was hot and I went off too fast and struggled from the start.
Time 1 hour 46 min 7 sec
A nice mid-week 5k, the Race for Life at Harrogate, on the Yorkshire Show ground. A charity race for Cancer. It was warm, busy, mixed terrain & undulating.
Time 27 min 18 sec
Rainton 10k, Black Sheep Series again, warm, undulating, multi terrain.
Time 58 min 51 sec.
4th July, The Burn Valley half marathon, what a toughy. middle of the day start on a Sunday in the Yorkshire Dales, beautiful views and some serious hills. I set myself a target of running the first 3 miles to the first steep hill and from then on walk the steep hills and run the downs and flats. this was a hard race.
Time 2 hours 20 min 20 sec.
The Great North 10k in Sunderland was a nice one, A there and back race I remember running over the bridge once but on the telly it shows that the race went over the bridge twice, I must have been totally focused, lol, as I can only remember it once.
Time 57min 42 sec.
The League races finished at Ripon with a 5 mile handicap race, all your points from the previous races were added up and runners are set off slowest firs fastest last, with an aim of everyone finishing within 5 mins. It was awful, all the way I was listening for it, about half a mile before the finish when there was a thundering of feet as the fast runners caught up and passed me, I found it quite scary and intimidating. Next time i will marshal.
Time 57min 42 sec.
Burton Leonard, the village where I did most of my growing up was the next 10k in the Black Sheep Series, multi terrain, undulating, on tracks i remember as exhausting to walk up as a child. A 2 pm start on a summer day meant it was pretty warm. When I finished I was pleased to hear and see my Mum and nephew cheering me in. When I had got my t-shirt and a drink I went over to her, and she said "oh, I thought you weren't doing it, its taken you so long." Cheeky. most other runners were about 5 mins slower than there pb's so I was`happy with my time.
Time 1 hour 3 min 1 sec.
I woke up feeling sick the morning of the Harrogate 10k, a road race of 2 undulating laps. I struggled to eat a banana and couldn't face porridge. I honestly thought i was going to throw up in the car on the journey there.
I set off ad just thought that if i could do the first lap without being lapped, then I could walk if I needed as long as my running partner was in view.
Time 59 min 49 sec.
Darlington 10k seemed the ideal race for a pb, road, flattish, 2 laps. Unfortunately I was struggling within the first 2 miles, I couldn't get my breath. ( I had had asthma, but I hadn't used an inhaler in nearly a year and it was classified as dormant.) but it felt like it was back. For the first time ever I was considering dropping out, but then about 50 yards from the start of the 2nd lap I was lapped, I couldn't drop out now, people would think that it was because i had got lapped, so I struggled on, when I walked other competitors said, "Come on Ripon" it kept me going. After i had finally dragged myself across the finish line, a man approached my friends and I. His attention had been drawn by my tattooed legs but realised that i was wearing Brooks trainers and that so were my 3 friends, he worked for Brooks and wanted a photo of us. so we had our pis taken.
Time 1 hour 3 min 1 sec, same as Burton Leonard.

No comments:

Post a Comment