Monday 15 August 2016

Hardmoors Wainstones Marathon 2016

14/08/16
                                                  Wainstones.

Three weeks after Outlaw Triathlon, Wainstones Marathon was never going to be easy. Between the two events I went to Rhodes for a holiday with all intentions to get a few good runs in. I did manage 4 short runs, one was even as long as three miles. It was too warm and I was too tired.
 When the email arrived with the final instructions, route description and map I recognised some of the route from the Osmotherly marathon, OMG it's gonna be hilly, Osmotherly gave me DOMS for the first time in months. I kept telling myself that even though I had not run for a few days, I had done a marathon three weeks before at Outlaw, I would be fine.
I got home from holiday at 2 am on 11 Aug, 
When I got up later that day, I re opened the email, registered for Racelifts and started to plan, first things first, go for a run, 1.7 miles done, very slow and even at 10 degrees cooler than Rhodes, I found it too warm and I had vertigo, really could do without that.
Friday came, I managed nearly 4 slow miles, my legs werent getting it. I got my map out. The one that I have marked all the HM marathons on this year, and sat with the route description highlighting key directions before picking a different colour pen to mark the map. This ritual seemed to flick a switch and I started to get back to race mode. The marked section went on both sides of the map overlapping part of the Osmotherly route. 
Saturday, I ran with the dog, very stop start but my legs were coming back at last. I packed my Solamon race vest with my essentials and the compulsory kit. I checked the route to the start on Google, It sent me round by Stokesley and Clay Bank although on the map, Lordstones looked the quicker route.
Sunday morning, I was up bright and early. I double checked my kit after breakfast and I set off for Chop Gate. The car sat nav tried to send me the short route via Lordstones, but I decided to go the Google route via Clay Bank and still nice and early, other Ripon Runners had beaten me to it though. I registered and collected my number,44, had my kit checked and my hand stamped. I had lost my pound for the car park, so I went back to the car, there it was, sat in the grass by the car boot I took it to pay to park before joining the other Ripon Runners for a chat.

Claire, Kim, Mike, Jono, Simon and Neil were already at the village hall

All too soon it was briefing. Jon read out a couple of funny emails, introduced us to someone who had spent last night at her hen night, and Jason who was doing his 100 th marathon before giving us a run down of the course and telling us that there'd be red tape as well as the usual yellow.
                                                    Jon Steele giving the race brief


Lots of prospective marathoners listening to the briefing.

                                                  Assembling for the start
One last visit to the loo and it was time to assemble for the start. Everyone seemed relaxed, it was a lovely summer Sunday morning and we were going on an adventure.
The race started behind the village hall, it was quite narrow and crowded. I was talking to Kelly, she had the stopwatches for the start, but was stuck on a rough track in the middle of a hundred or so runners. I helped her get to the front, then got myself back, away from the front, I didn't want to get in anyone's way. I found myself near Caroline who I ran some of Rosedale with. We chatted and suddenly the crowd surged and we were of, jogging, not far, there was a gate and style, that spread us out abit. Then we were climbing, it was steep and we were mainly single file on the track through the bracken, a multicoloured ribbon amongst the greenery.
Runners ahead, and runners behind, but where I was no one was running, the leaders may have run up the hill, but most of us walked.
You could see for miles across the valley it was such a lovely clear day.
We continued to clime, crossing a stile allowed us to admire the scenary and get some breath back

Still climbing out of Chop Gate
But eventually we reached the top and the track was good to run on, so I put my camera away for a bit as I made the most of the good terrain, most of this route was new to me, but straight forward to navigate, there was about 5 miles of good stuff. Furthest I'd run in a while, it went quick and I felt OK, it was early and still quite cool.
At Scugdale came the next climb, there would be 5 climbs in the next few miles, people talk of "the three sisters" but there is a hill either side and we were to do them all today, "Quadbusting Quintuplets" The first from Scugdale to Lordstones is quite a long climb that has brief level sections to give your quads a break. Last time I did these climbs was in May on the Osmotherley Marathon, it looks so different in August.
It was lovely chatting to other runners as we walked the inclines.
We emerged from the woods to beautiful purple Heather, the air was filled with its scent. It was quite cloudy and I wondered if maybe we would need raincoats later. The moors seem to have their own weather system.
But the clouds were high and you could see literally for miles, there's Roseberry Topping in the distance.
I live back there somewhere across the Vale and in the distance you can see the Yorkshire Dales
There were quite a few short ascents along this section, lots of chance to admire the views. I was being strict with myself about walking the ups and running the runnable downs and flats.


It seems like, whenever I am up on his section on the Cleveland way there is a paraglider. The views must be great from up there but I would never do it, 
Alison and her friend passed, running well, I asked after Gill, Alison said she was doing something on the continent. 


It was getting warmer now as we headed down to Lordstones, that's the first of 5 peaks done. As I reached the checkpoint there were half marathon runners coming in from the right and mingling among the marathoners as we passed through Lordstones to the first of the Three Sisters

It was now so warm by now that the camera lense steamed up
By the second sister there was a string of runners spread along the Cleveland way, with half marathoners breathing down the marathoners necks, eager to be past. I was finding it tough now, still steadily going forwards but my quads were burning and on the uneven steps down it felt like I was rattling every bone in my body. Lack of exercise offer the last 3 weeks was starting to show.


The third sister was looming above me, and although I was finding it tough, at the same time, it did feel like I was ticking each one off quite quickly (for me).
Scrambling through the Wainstones was a real test, but it also felt good to get them out of the way as the path is good for a while before descending carefully to Clay Bank. Yey! Checkpoint, I refilled my water bottle and my spare, which already had Tailwind in. There was watermelon, as an extra at this station.
The last of the five big claims along this section and leaving familiar territory for me. The map showed the path running along the contours, so I hoped for some respite from ascending and descending for a while.

Looking back you can see the trail of people descending to Clay Bank. I wasn't having a great run, but I was not last yet. I was still smiling as I past the SportSunday photographer. These guys are awesome, sitting out in exposed areas to snap us often as we struggle up a big hill.
You can see for miles behind me.

As I set off on the new territory I started to worry that I would miss the split where the half and full runners went their separate ways, but I could see Caroline in her cap ahead, so I focused on that as I ran through the bogs and heather paths, dropping into little valleys to cross streams and climb back out again. Half marathoners were racing past, it felt like I was going backwards. Then suddenly ahead, I saw the split, there was a checkpoint, phew!
I caught up with Caroline on the sandy road to Bloworth Crossing, she was struggling too, we walked a while together, her running partner Mark ran on as he was feeling good. Caroline and I jogged and walked up to Bloworth crossing and then turned right, more sandy, gently undulating (felt worse than it was on tired legs) we continued our run walk system as we ticked off the miles, we were doing ok again. 
There was an uneven descent which battered our legs, It was a relief to hit the checkpoint at the road. We ran down knowing there was a climb ahead.
 It was steep, but road, we walked but it was not too bad.
After walking up the road hill to a checkpoint we turned onto another sandy track.
Kim caught up with us and passed us here, she was fighting off cramp and had a nice steady pace. Caroline and I continued our run walk strategy and caught back up with Kim for a while. The track was quite nice for a while, we were making decent time



Then we had a steep descent with loose rocks, it battered our legs, it was like running on hot coals as my quads felt like they were gonna burst. The descent was followed by an equally steep ascent

Looking back I could see the yellow track zig zagging through the greenery.
This was a tough climb, but because it was level underfoot I got a big ahead, I jogged as the track levelled out and was relieved to see a couple of marshals, " go to the marshal vest and go through the wall, about a mile downhill" I looked round and the others were not far behind, I set off, looking forward to the last mile. I went through the wall and onto a narrow uneven Heather path, I couldn't run in case I tripped, I took it steady. 
I saw runners and Marshall's ahead, ghad back of the half marathon. It was Tony doing last runner. It was great to see him, I ran on through a farm. I knew I was nearly back now. I ran down the land to where Simon waited, he opened the gate for me to save me stopping. To the right the farmers were making round bales. The instructions were to run along this field, I was nervous of running in a field with active machinary. I clarified that I had to run along the edge of the field with the Marshall and kept as close to the edge as I could. There was a tractor and baler ahead, the operator dropped a round bale right in my path, it was settling, I slowed and waited until it was still before I ran round it to the stile, crossed the road and ran into the village hall to receive my tshirt and medal.
I then went back out to cheer Kim and Caroline  in.



There was a good spread to replace some calories, and coffee and tea. Felt loads better very quickly.
Very soon after Jason arrived after completing his one hundredth marathon. Amazing, what an inspiration. Congratulations Jason.


You can buy lots of different HM memorabilia, I must remember to bring some cash next time.
 I finished the Hardmoors Wainstones Marathon, number 5 out of 7 in the series in a time of 6 hours, 36 minutes and 4 seconds in position 87/127. I found this a tough route, partly because it is and partly through lack of preparation. But I enjoyed it and am pleased with my time and position.
27.11 miles and over 4500 ft of elevation.















No comments:

Post a Comment