Tuesday 2 August 2016

Outlaw Triathlon 2016

24/07/2016               Outlaw Triathlon,
This was to be my fourth Outlaw full triathlon, my fifth full distance. Billy was doing it too, his third. We arrived at Holme Pierrepont on Friday evening, sorted the caravan and after popping to Morrisons for our shopping we could then relax a bit. We got up early on Saturday as is usual for us. After a gentle start to the day we walked across to the National Watersports Centre to watch the future Outlaw race.  As we crossed over the boat sheds I looked over the lake, it never fails to amaze me just how far it is down the regatta Lake.
 We watched the Future Outlaws get underway from a distance, they went in in waves.
 We met Danny on the embankment, the first of many old friends made though Outlaw and Ironman.
It was a lovely day for the youngsters to compete, the sun sone brightly and the crowds gathered to encourage and cheer them on.
 We stood with Graham who has completed all of the Outlaw halfs and full (I met him through Hardmoors) watching his son compete, he did brilliantly and was very happy with his medal when he finished. The last finisher was Peter, he had Cerebral Palsey and had the biggest smile as he high 5'd the crowd on the red carpet of the finish. What an amazing inspiring young man.
As 10 am approached and time to register, more and more old friends appeared. We registered and then went for briefing with our old coach and good friend Dewi. It was warm in the tent so we drank loads. It had been a warm week so keeping hydrated was priority and it promised to be warm on the day too.
    We loitered round the expo creating a wish list of tri gear we liked but didnt need. Billy had to get a tyre because he had noticed a nick on his front tyre that morning.
We went back to the caravan and Mark had arrived, he and Billy had completed Triathlon X, the hardest triathlon in the world, reputedly,
We had lunch and went back to the race site with Mark, it was his first time. We racked our bikes and bags and we met Thom  Paul and Glenn also from Bedale and Leeky, Lisa, Gary and Ian who we know from previous races. We also saw Jon a fellow NYPTri He has returned from illness back to competing and he is in his 60's, brilliant.
We had a walk down to the last k e with Dave and Ben, to show them the lake
Then it was back for an early night with the alarm set for 4 am.
Time flies, it was very soon time to get up, to eat breakfast and prepare nutrition. I had 2 plain Bountys in the freezer for a treat, Soreen and homemade oat and seed bars for on the bike/ I made up some tailwind mandarin in a tonic water bottle to put in my bike frame bottle.
We set off, it was just gone 5 am and already warm, I had my wetsuit on to the waist but no jacket.
The following pictures were taken by Ian Day

                                     
 Although the moon was still up, the sun had also made its appearance at the far end of the Regatta Lake.
 We went to transition first to prepare our bikes and pump our tyres back up as we had let some air out when we racked because it was so warm. Billy did mime whilst I queued for the loo. I was a bit nervous because 2 years ago at this point my valves came out and all the air with them. I got back to my bike and it was fine Billy had gone to do his. I racked in my bag for my goodies and set my bike up. I was just about to fill up my bike bottle and I looked up to see the camera. Are you putting gin and tonic in there, I was asked by Annie Emmerson. I explained it was just my nutrition which probably sounded odd as it looked like clear water. Tailwind dissolves completely. Then commenced a short interview where I burbled about I cant remember what.
After they left I went to put my kit bag away. I walked out of the tent in my flip flops and had to go back in DOH!
I met with Billy, we pulled our wet suits up and went to get in the water, here we separated, Billy went to bay 2 and I went to bay 3 as I am slower.
I was a little nervous as I have not swum as much this year and nowhere near the distance. I stayed near the back of the bay to avoid the mayhem of a triathlon start.

 The klaxon went and I waited a while but when I set off the water was comfortable and I had my face in the water from the start. I didn't feel crowded. I swam diagonally at first and then turned up the lake I was passing people and there was plenty of room, I felt remarcably calm and the nerves and doubts were left at the start line. It felt like forever before I spotted the turn buiy, I aimed for it and didn't swim as wide as I normally do. I was swimming steadily but on the second turn buoy there was no where to go there were swimmers in all directions, I tried to go left, then right, left again but people were swimming in all directions, I eventually got to the side of the pack and continued on my journey down the lake, moving back to the middle as the crowds cleared.There were bikes flying past on the bank. Then suddenly, without warning my left calf went into cramp. I was not alarmed this has happened a few times. I stopped kicking and dragged my legs, it was not only bukes flying past now, it was swimmers. I tried to kick with only my right leg for a while, then suddenly my calf relaxed and I was off again, catching up some of the people that had passed me.
At last it was time to get out. I took my time to allow my leg to adapt, but once upright I was jogging to T1. the lady who was going to help take off my suit (I did it myself as I didnt want to sit down) was Karen who I ran most of Outlaw half with.
I ran into T1, didnt bother getting dried, just put on my helmet, race belt, socks and shoes. took a swig of flat cola stuffed my wetsuit in my bag and carried it to the drop point. The volunteers slapped suncream on my arms and calves and I ran into the sunshine to start the bike leg. As I left the tent the camera crew and Annie caught up with me again. My mind was on the bike and I was relieved to be out of the water so just gabbled and ran on again. I got on my bike and pedalled like mad.
 There was great support on the way out onto the main roads from Ben, Dave, Mary, Laura, Ian, Sid, Gary and Michelle. It was a roar of noise.
 As with the swim, I did not feel that I had done enough long rides, but I was here now and had had a good ride a few weeks ago at Outlaw half, I just had to ride as hard as I could as long as I coul. It was going well, I was catching people up, thats fairly rare for me. I headed into Car Colson and the crowds were amazing, I normally see the leader at this point, not today though, I thought I'd make it onto the loop but about 100 mtr from the junction the lead bike flew past going the other way, about 25 miles ahead of me.
It was hot on the bike, the harder I worked the more breeze I created. I was averaging over 18 mph on the first loop. My speed started to drop on the second loop having to slow as trafic queued to pass slower riders on the approach to Lowden. Oxton Bank took its toll but I recovered quickly Only to lose more time again stuck in trafic at the top of the loop and again in Lowden. The first year I did Outlaw we did the northern loop first and as it was earlier in the day there was less traffic. I think this was better but there is probably a good reason for this route.
When I headed back to Car Colson there was Sid, Michelle, Ian and Gary,  That was a boost.
 Shortly after entering the loop for the second time I stopped at the aid station for the loo. I was as quick as possible, conscious of all the people passing me. I got back on my bike and peddled like mad, regaining some places, but soon my bike felt wrong, I had a flat, I looked down but the tyre wasn't flat, it maybe had a slow puncture, hopefully I could limp back without a change. My speed was dropping off, but a puncture could be the end of my race as I'm quite slow at it. I got through the next aid station, nearly off the loop people I had worked hard to pass were passing me.
Then I hit a particularly rough section of road and my puncture was complete. 96 miles and I had to sort it now.
I checked the tyre and rim tape but there was nothing there, people were passing in droves, I soon had the new tube in and was just putting the tyre on when another competitor stopped to help, he finished putting the tyre on and pumped it up for me.I got back going. I was catching and passing people again, 10 miles to go and I got another puncture, 102 miles, I could hear the crowds in Car Colson cheering, cyclists passed in drove asking if I was ok.
A pirate stopped and said he would let the bike marshals know. I checked the tyre and rim tape again, still nothing. I was worried aboout putting my last tube in when I didnt know the cause of the puncture. A motorcycle marshal pulled up and chatted whilst I put the new tyre in and pumped it up with my gas canister, he said that if it didn't work the 'broom wagon' would be round soon and they'd get me back, no way, I'd run back first. He said it was too far. My tired brain wasn't talking to my hands and I was struggling putting the tyre back on. He helped me get it in, and cosequently he was now oily too. He told me I had a 30 min time trial now to get back. I got on and pedaled like a demon, catching and passing people again, the tyre was holding, Car Colson was now quiet, there were only a few supporters left. I needed to pedal harder. I was relieved to reach Radcliffe on Trent, I could run back from here I thought, and I may have to, because of the ramps and rough ground through the Hall. I just kept everything crossed and was relieved to get back onto the road surrounding the watersports centre. Phew I was back, I made it.
I give my bike to the marshal and grinning to myself ran into T2, I had lost a lot of time but it wasn't game over yet.
I changed my socks and shoes, squirted some sun cream on and started to clean some oil off my hands. Whoa! Stop! It doesn't matter, I grabbed my bag and ran through transition, As I handed my bag over I felt a lump on my back. "Wait" I exclaimed as I pulled two trashed tubes from my Tri suit and stuffed them in my bag. I was out and running.
As I started on my first lap of the lake, I was surprised and pleased to see Martin and Will supporting and a little further along there was the cheering crew, Sid, Michelle, Ian, Lisa and Gary, that made me smile as I faced the 5 km loop.
As I passed the feed station at the top of the lake competitor 213 ran alongside for a while and then disappeared amongst the others, she was in my age group.there was no point trying to keep up, I had to run my race, what will be will be. I passed the finish chute and collected my first band.
The cheering squad were still there as I headed out on the out and back with my first band.
Out along the Trent over the bouncy bridge, along the embankment and back, at the Town Hall the Annie and the camera man caught me again, covered in oil and sweaty, I must have been a right sight. Martin and Will broke through my daze as I approached the carpark.  Round the lake again for another band, and repeat.
I never saw Billy on the run, I normally do, so I was a bit worried. Heading out on my second out and back, I saw Mark and asked were Billy was, "He's ahead" he said. Phew that was  a relief. and at some point when I was out partaking in the running buffet that is the Outlaw run, Billy finished in 12:17.

I got back to the lake and ran round the top and past the finish to collect my last band. I entered my "Victory Lap" with a smile. only 5 km to go.
The sun was going down and there were noticeably less runners on this lap, I was running at a steady pace and passing others, not quick but by keeping a consistent pace I had run all but the feed stations and was going to finish. I had no idea of the time, I had wanted to beat 14:40 and my dream time would have been under 14 hours, that went out of the window with the punctures. 
So as the sun set on Outlaw 2016 I headed for the finish,  I passed competitor 213 about 500 meters before the red carpet, I picked up my pace and set off down the finish chute with my 3 bands. There was the cheering squad, I high fived them and others enjoying my moment.
It felt like I was sprinting, clearly I wasn't :-)
A PB by 8 minutes. I was overjoyed. even with the punctures I had completed in under 14:40.
I was stopped again by the camera crew, burbling and grinning like an idiot. I collected my T shirt and went to meet Billy. This year there was a ramp rather than steps to get to the food. I prefered the steps, they were quicker.
I heard Billy shouting me, he told me to take my time and get  massage. I went for food first, cheese and potato pie, (only option without garlic or onions and a strong cup of coffee. I struggled with the food but the coffee was heavenly. I chatted with other Outlaws and volunteers before going for a massage. I have a sports massage at least once a month but do not usually have one straight after an event as the queues are normally massive and I can't be bothered to wait. There was no queue here and I had my sore legs massaged. the relief was immediate. I will do that again.
I collected my timing slip and bike and went back to the caravan to clean up. then Billy, Mark and I went back to the finishline, where we joined Leeky, Lisa, Ian, Gary and loads of others to welcome the last Outlaw Home to fireworks, music and confetti.
Massive thanks to all at OSB, staff and volunteers, the (running buffet) feed station crews, the marshals, competitors, supporters, camera  crew and people of Nottingham, together you all make such a memorable friendly event.
That's what brings me back, that and the medals :-) I've pre registered for 2017.
Outlaw should be on Channel 4 on 03/09/2016. Watch it, You'll want to do it too

2 comments:

  1. Well done - so glad you spotted me on the run, picked me up as having a tough day with my lungs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well done to you Zoe, true grit and determination, recover well

      Delete