Sunday 1 November 2015

Guy Fawkes 10 mile

This morning it was foggy, very foggy, bbrr? Looked like it would be a chilly race today.
I set off early not wanting to rush with the lack of visibility. The fog started to clear as I approached Wormald Green and by the time I got to Ripley it had cleared, the skies were blue and the moon was still up. Oops! I never brought my sunglasses.
I was rediculously early the carpark was nearly empty and there was no loo queue, bonus.
Guy Fawkes had arrived though and was helping park cars.
I registered and went back and relaxed in the car waiting till closer to the start time 10:30 
The sun was getting higher in the sky and the temperature was rising, looked a good day to race, Wish I'd brought my glasses though.
As race start neared I set off to Ripley village centre, stopping to talk to friends. Soon we were all gathered outside the castle entrance.
The race started and was pretty congested for the first mile or so, it was tricky getting past people, but soon We were out on the road and there was room to spread out abit. This was a new way for the race start, nice to see Ian and Sarah there supporting at the junction with Clint Bank. Soon we were back on the old route heading down into Birstwith, over the bridge through the village, no water station here this year, cross the road and start the biggest climb of the day. Where previously we would only have to run 3/4 way up the Beast, as it's known, the new rout had us continue to the top, turn left on a more level lane, and there it was, the much needed water station. Then a much needed downhill section to let the legs and heart recover befor the next big climb at six miles, then a nice long down section into Hampswaite, through the village, there was Ian and Sarah again and Paula too. Eight miles in and another very welcome water station before the last big climb up Clint Bank to the point we had joined and turn back down to the castle. The lane was not congested now and I could run freely through the woods then a sharp down and up, turn through the castle gates and finally the finish line.
10 miles 1:34:01  
Next collect water, goody bag and tshirt 

Mmm! Chocolate, obviously zero calories after running so hard for one of my best ever 10 mile times.
I met with friends and teammates.

The fog was starting to descend and it was getting cooler for the last few finishers

But the surroundings were lovely.
And so the drive home was once again in thick fog.
 When I got home, after lunch I did my first turbo session for Turbovember where I will aim to turbo at least 30 min a day for the month of November.







No comments:

Post a Comment