Sunday 18 October 2015

Bridlington Half Marathon

Many years ago, well in 2009, it was my first year taking part in the Black Sheep Series. A series of local races, mainly 10 km but also a 10 mile race and the brillian Burn Valley Half Marathon. This half marathon fell on one of my running partner's birthday in July, so we looked for one on my birthday too. Vicky found the Bridlington Half Marathon on 18 Oct. my birthday, so we signed up. 
Vicky and I did the Brid half for 3 years running but in 2012 we went to Dublin for the marathon on Oct. the habit was broken.
This year my friend Caroline decided that she would do a half marathon and had picked Brid. I looked at the date, it was to be on my birthday again, so I signed up too and planned to use it to finally get under 2 hours for a half.
Since Vitruvian middle distance triathlon at the end of August I have not cycled or swum, I have put all my energy into running. Firstly to be able to complete Equinox24 and run 100 miles in 24 hours. I achieved this. Then I wanted to get under 7 hours at the Round Ripon Ultra (35 mile) a fortnight later, which I did. A fall on the ultra has made the last two weeks uncomfortable for running, as my ribs have been bruised. But I kept working on pace and achieved a PB at the Yorkshire marathon last week. My half marathon split was just over 1:57. So the signs were that I should be able to run a stand alone half marathon in under 2 hours, but now it would really need to be under 1:57 to be a true distance PB.
I have also been running every day this year and yesterday (day290) was just 1.7 miles, but it was awful, my ribs were sore and I could not get my breathing to regulate.
Love my birthday gift from Billy

So today it is my birthday. I got up early, had breakfast and set off alone for Bridlington. I was meeting Caroline there and Billy had a monster bike training session. So this was also a challenge for me, having recently got back to driving and not being keen on motorways. Brid is nearly 2 hours drive away. I got there no problem.

Bbrr! It was not very warm, time to evaluate clothing choice. I'd packed an extra vest and a long sleeved top. I decided to put the extra vest on. I also put on a disposable Mac and made my way to meet Caroline. She was looking calm to say it was her first half marathon. The crowds were building so we got amongst them to keep warm. We were about halfway in amongst the pack. There was no rush though we had timing chips.
Suddenly the supporters were clapping and the runners were running, I started my watch and we were off, running along the promenade.
The route is undulating with more up than down in the first 8 miles and I remember a definate hill at 7 miles. 
It took me about 2 miles to feel warm. The miles seemed to be passing quickly, I dare not check my watch in case I was disappointed. Once the weaving and passing had settled I tried to keep it, that if I was passed I would try and pass someone. I remember a water station about 4 miles, gutted, it wasn't there, I should have checked the race details, I just assumed everything would be the same. I ran on everything else seemed the same, I felt as if I was running well, my ribs ached but I was managing to control my breathing. I made sure I got plenty of water on board at 7 miles, and ran on, Where's the hill? Yes there was an incline, a long incline, but it didn't feel like a hill.
 I turned towards mile 8 and picked up the pace for this predominately downhill section.
 I decided to check my watch as it buzzed 9 miles. Last mile 9:11. 
Oh no, that's not fast enough, if that was a downhill mile, what were the others. 
Oh well can't change it now, just gotta run these last 4 miles as if my life depends on it.
And I did, I moved slowly though the group for a couple of miles but soon I found myself speeding past others as we turned towards mile 12 .
One mile, just one mile. I ran as hard as I could and was soon back on the promenade, it felt like it was uphill, I was tired but not giving in. 
The race clock was obscured bu supporters on till the last few feet.
1:54:?? I'd done it, I had nothing left, no sprint finish. I was done. But so happy.
I got some water and was starting to feel the chill. I looked around. No sign of Caroline so I jogged down the promenade to meet her. I didn't need to go far, there she was, I ran up with her she was smiling, so happy. And so she completed her first half marathon in just over 2 hours. Fantastic. It was great to share that with her before she had to dash off.
Me, well there was always a bit of a tradition for Vicky and I, a paddle and fish and chips before the long drive home. On the way to the beach I got my official time via text.

Bbrr! The water was cold, but it felt so good on my hot feet and calves.

No swim this year, they've knocked the leisure centre down and are building another.

Looks lovely so far.
So that's it. It's only a month since Equinox24 and I've been steadily reducing my distance but had a PB at 35. 26.2 and 13.1 miles. A great birthday pressie.
Oh and Billy made me a fab gin and lemon cake.

It is very yummy.



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, I was trying to edit my comment and went and deleted it!
    Anyhow, congratulations Lena on yet another PB. I think I read somewhere you were achieving them with less training mileage, which should tell you something. Quality beats quantity, hands down....
    My Longwood partner and I did the Burn Valley ½ marathon you mention, in 2009, but somehow missed you. It's a hilly course and it was a hot day. Managed 1st M75 in 1:57:17 and Sheila was 1st L60 in 2:23 - each of us winning a Black Sheep hoodie ans a free meal at some local Hotel I forget the name of.... A good day out!
    Keep up the good work.....

    ReplyDelete