Wednesday 12 April 2017

Hardmoors White Horse Marathon

Marathon 45
Hardmoors White Horse Marathon 09/04/2017
No rest for the wicked. There has been a fortnight since my last marathon, but this was to be my fifth marathon this year, 45th since my first in May 2010.
I was as ready as I could be for it. I have trained as normal. Circuits had left me with the dreaded DOMS in my shoulders and upper back, but at least, due to good weather I didn't need to carry full kit, only a waterproof jacket, something to carry 500ml of fluids and the route description.
I have run this marathon before, last year, when it felt quite warm. but there would be a diversion this year.
This being a close to home marathon, I dint have to get up too early, Billy walked Jed so I got up at 6 am, quite a decent time for race day. breakfast of 2 Weetabix and Skyr done, I checked my kit and dressed, shorts and my charity vest, no thermals today, in fact, I put sunscreen on.
It was nice to drive to Sutton Bank on such a lovely spring morning. I had packed an ultra light weight jacket to keep warm at the start, but it was so pleasant I didn't need it. i went to register, showed my kit and got my number. 45. wow, I thought, no 45 on my 45th marathon, a good omen I hoped.
I went and stood with the other Ripon Runners, Claire, Michael, James, Kim and Simon to wait for the start.
Jon chose our table to stand on for the race briefing, so we had front row. After the normal messages and the description of the route change, Jon asked for a minutes silence to mark the passing of Howard Plaut. a Man who had been very involved with the Hardmoors races. I have probably met Howard as he he has manned checkpoints though not known his name. It was a poignant moment. Normally during race briefs I am frustrated, trying to listen whilst people around me still chatter but today it was silent, even the birds fell silent momentarily, then all that was to be heard was the bird chatter. R.I.P Howard.


Then we set off to gather for the race start.
We started in a different place than last year, I followed the people ahead onto the road.
I soon realised I was too far forward. I would normally move back but I didn't want to get bottle necked around Gormire lake like last year.
5,4,3,2,1,GO! we were off. I didnt feel like i was running fast and waited for the hoards to pass. We passed a toddler holding a sign "Only 29 ish miles to go", that made me smile and relax a bit. Runners wound there way towards the cliff path then we were turning down, it was not busy like last year, I wound my way down to Gormire lake, it was much drier than last year and so easier going. I ran round the lake and set off back up, there had not been many people passing me, although i had passed a couple of people. Eventually I emerged back onto the cliff path in the sunlight. The dry ground made it a nice run out to checkpoint 1. I was anticipating hoards of faster runners to pass me on the more open terrain.
It didn't happen, A few people passed me but not many. It was good to see Jono taking numbers at checkpoint 1, always smiling and supportive. I had some water, cola, peanuts and jelly babies at the checkpoint before heading out to High Paradise Farm.

I started to catch up with people, although a few others passed me. I knew the route and was confident of the route. Out onto the moors and down to the woods, i passed people on the climbs. After the gamekeepers cottage I went wrong. In my heart I knew it was wrong, but everyone ahead were going up the lane to the right and I stupidly followed. there was a child on a scooter calling us back. I turned round and got back on route to checkpoint 2.. now in front of those I had followed as I had least far to travel to get back on the right path.
The ground was hard and rutted and I turned my ankle on the run down to the bridge before Hawnby. I ran through it. I was in a group heading into Hawnby, up the road, up the steps then up up up the Hawnby Hill. It was hard work getting to the top but once on the ridge the views were absolutely stunning on such a bright sunny day. On the way down the ridge I turned the other ankle, the benefit of this was it took over in my brain from the other ankle pain for a while. 
At the next checkpoint I had a cup of cola and a cup of water, I seemed to be managing my hydration and energy levels well. I had a bottle of Tailwind with me too, just in case. I ran down the lane towards the farm, then followed the wall round to enter the sheep field. as I crossed the field runners came towards me from across the field, they had detoured slightly, I soon found myself running amongst this group as we headed onto the moors where we soon spread out again. The wind had picked up  now and was quite a strong headwind, but head down I carried on and started catching people up again. After slogging up another hill there was a nice down section, heather paths, a stile, a field. Cross the road, another field then some good old Hardmoors mud down a slippy slope through the trees and it was still soft underfoot in the two fields that led to the road and the 1/25 road hill. 
 The chickens rooting under the hedge were a welcome distraction.
Wow I forgot how tough that hill was, The heat bounced off the tarmac but it was not for too long. At the top was a checkpoint, I left the road and headed down a lane following a lady, she seemed to get a second wind as the gap between us increased. I ran past the turn from last year and on to the next turn. This was the detour. Last year we had run down a track into some woods, This year we were running on road, there was a steep descent to a ford and a short climb to a turn into a field. I could see the lady and another couple of runners ahead, but I wasn't gaining on them, yet.
The field turned to a heavily rutted forestry track, the lack of rain had made it tough going as it was very uneven for sore ankles, I eventually caught up the lady and a man who kindly held the gate open for me, I thought he would dash past on this nice smooth tarmac, but he didnt. i also passed a man on the lane, He followed me closely all the way to Revieux. I was done in, I wanted to walk but he was so close, I pushed myself hard and manage to run to the little bridge, I walked up it and ran/walked the next section to the final checkpoint. I thought he would pass me, but he didn't. 
I got to the checkpoint at 24 miles, Lorna said I was doing well and was quite high up, I was shattered, I'd burnt out, my ankles hurt and my left ankle was causing me real bother, but since they didnt have any new left legs at the checkpoint, I settled for 2 cups of cola and one of water. I was having my water bottle topped up when the man who I thought was right on my shoulder arrived. Lorna saying I was high up gave me a boost.
Right, get a grip, I set off, 3 miles, a Parkrun, that is all, just get to the rough hill and then walk. so I sort of ran/jogged along the lane with occasional short walks up to the rough hill, where I was happy to walk. I walked up the hill and through the field onto the lane. The wind was really blowing the dust up, I looked behind no one in sight, but there ahead, I could see another runner, they were walking, I walked quicker, and then jogged a bit, I was gaining as he got to the flat and then down and took off. When I reached the down I was disappointed that my ankles hurt too much to really run hard down the hill and I had to continue my slow steady pace. 
At the top of the village of Cold Kirby the runner ahead stopped for water, I have Tailwind I thought, I'm not stopping and I turned off the road onto the farm track. I was nearly finished. I could see more runners ahead, they were the back runners for the half marathon, one was Lucy, with Rosie, who I had spent a lot of the 55 with. 
She said I was doing well, about 7 th female. I pushed on,I wondered if she was right, Lorna had said I was quite high up. It gave me another  boost. I ran as hard as I could, Well I thought i was running, but it probably didn't look like that to a bystander. I headed into the woods and ran along side the cycle path following yellow tape. I had to walk the slightest incline, but eventually i emerged from the lovely cool woods into the sunshine opposite the Sutton Bank Visitor Centre. I managed to run in to the table and as I stopped my watch the lady said I was first FV50. I looked at my watch, 5:33:09. I was so happy, In my head I had wanted to go sub 6 hours, but I had smashed it. I was smashed, I couldn't have given any more, I had given everything and it had paid off.
I turned to welcome in the other runners, I collected my medal and red t shirt, then Jon presented me with my reward, a cup.

I celebrated with a double scoop Ice cream and sat on the grass with other finishers to cheer in the other runners.

race stats

Official Results = Time 05:33:06 overall position 40/129 female position 8/41 
Age Cat position 1/7
So that is 5 marathons this year so far, the shortest being Kielder Dark Skies 26.5 miles and the longest Hardmoors 55.

No comments:

Post a Comment