Friday 3 March 2017

Hardmoors Saltburn 26.2ish Marathon 42


Hardmoors Saltburn has become very popular and quickly sells out, I missed the entry so I entered the whole marathon series of 7 marathons to get entry.
I did a lift share with Victoria who was doing the half and Tony and Heidi who were doing the sweeping for the full marathon. I had registered for Racelifts but there was no contacts from that site, but the Hardmoors Facebook page was great for arranging carshare.
on Sunday 12 February 2017 the weather was cold and rainy and windy and no improvement was forcast.
I registered and met up with fellow Ripon Runners Micheal, Nicole and Lucy.





Victoria was clearly happy that she had a bit longer to wait in the warmth of the sports hall before her race,



She assures me she didn't run in that fab hat,
Time for Jon's briefing.
Think it put the fear of God into Nicole :-)
Only joking, just needed to use my beautifying app ;-)
Before long we were filing out of the warmth of the leisure centre into the wind and rain. We gathered by the pedesrian crossing and were off. No messing gather and go.
We ran over the bridge and into the Valley Gardens, bottle necked by narrow paths I just had to go with the flow. as we were approaching the coast, Ed and Nicky Raddon the other Ripon Runners trotted past as the path widened. I ran round by the coast and set off up the first incline of the day, taking the chance to look around.

It was hard work as the hill was steep and we had only run a mile or so, therefore I was not quite warmed up.

It was bleak on top of the cliff, there was nowhere to shelter from the wind and rain.
But steady away, the miles passed by. So did a load of runners when I stopped to try and take a picture. my phone had gone bonkers, doing random stuff. as runners passed me by. I stuffed my phone in my pocket and set off to try and regain my position.
As I approached Skinninggrove I worried about the wind blowing sand into my eyes and I worried how that would affect my contacts. The wind was so strong that it pushed me to a stop bt the head of the steps to the beach. I forced my way down, and sand did not get in my eyes. I passed through the checkpoint and headed up the next incline. I had passed people on the way to the beach and again at the checkpoint. I was starting to regain my position.

At the junction where there was the first detour from last year's route was there was Paul and Lucie. Paul had recently completed the The Spine race. I had his special number,59 I hoped it would bring me luck.
The detour had a savage incline. At the top I met Nicole and Lucie.
Now came a nice bit. We ran together along the paths and through the fields and onto the tarmac. The tarmac was a welcome reprieve from the slippy, sticky, slimy mud, AND it was down hill. I ran with Nicole an Lucie for a few miles to the next checkpoint. I did my usual speedy checkpoit drills and trotted off with some lovely cherry and almond cake clutched in my hand to eat on route,
Soon I noticed Nicole and Lucie were no longer with me. I soon approached the point where I went wrong last year and was fine this year/ It was still raining and blowing a gale. It was not pleasent running conditions.
I crossed at Slapewath and thanked Luke, who was so well wrapped up against the elements I hardly recognised him.
As I entered the woods I passed a few people and then again in Guisborough Woods. I felt OK and had passed everyone in sight. I then ran for miles without seeing anyone ahead. It was now snowing and there was snow on the ground.
At the next checkpoint I skirted a big puddle, not to stay dry, as my feet were sodden, but not to cut the corner. I had a quick drink, took some jelly babies and set off up the section I would be glad to put behind me.
This wide swathe of mud up through the trees before the steep ascent to High Cliff Nab. Still I saw no one ahead but there was now someone behind.

I slogged it out through the mud and snow, grasping clumps of heather to finally get to the top of High Cliff Nab.

The route was well marked.

From High Cliff Nab it was out onto the moors, I held off the runner behind and finally saw runners ahead. I kept my head and steadily gained on them, carefull not to run too hsrd and expend too much energy. It was so cold, my feet were freezing and the wind and snow in my face made it hard to look ahead too long. but I caught and passed more runners and finaly reached the turn point. I almost missed it as there was no yellow ribbon. I checked with the runner behind that this was the turn. Soon I was climbing the stile to cross the main road to Whitby. I gave my number at the checkpoint and ran on, only about 10k to go.
This next section was very puddly, with deep puddles and steep verges. I did have one slip and got a bit wetter than I already was. Never mind I was nearly back in Saltburn. I passed another couple of runners and chased another down. I never caught him, but I ran into the leisure centre nearly 15 min faster than last year and feeling stronger than last year.
Time 6:27:20 position 76/147
Marathon 42 complete

No comments:

Post a Comment