Sunday 12 June 2011

Juneathon 12/30 Ripon Rowel walk

I have entered the Round Ripon Ultra a 35 mile race that takes place mainly on the Ripon Rowel walk. The Ripon Rowel walk is a 50 mile walk starting and finishing in Ripon taking in lots of picturesque villages. The walk is apparently well marked so as a rubish navigator I felt I could tackle a session for a long run. I am a lazy runner I prefer road because it takes less effort, Im willing to accept the impact. As a lazy runner I avoid off road but since I entered the Ultra I have been hitting the trsils. The forcast was for rain later in the day so after walking the dog, I set out. I only lost the path once where a bush had grown over the sign and ended up adding a bit on to my run. Thanks to the runner who put me right again. Im glad I went wrong otherwise I would not have seen the beatiful dog fox crossing the field. He stopped to watch me. Above a buzzard was circling it was a lovely day. One field between Bishop Monkton and Burton Leonard had rape in it and it had fallen across the pah and interwoven, I had to force myself through it, wish Id worn long trousers. There was another similar field just after Markenfield Hall( what an awesomely beatutifl building). Approaching and leaving Markenfield hall there were cows and calves in the field so I walked.(dont want to be trampled). As I got to Whitcliffe lane my garmin buzzed 15 miles and I decided to do the next bit of the Roel Walk and headed across the field towards Studley. I headed for the Valley of the 7 bridges and helped 2 children get their bikes through the gate, gave me a chance for a breather,I ran across the bridges and up to the car park where I detoured for the loo before the long climb up to St Mary's Church. I walked this bit. Garmin buzzed for 17 miles at the gate. Then the best bit 1 mile down hill, then through the fields and back to Ripon.. Today was a good run, adventurous and I realised that being a lazy runner has deprived me of some amazing local views and path ways. Incidentally the first 15 miles are the 15 miles that are not part of the Round Ripon Ultra. Next time I'll tackle part of the course

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great Sunday long run. I've been amazed by the things I've seen since I slowed down my running pace, things that were there all the time but I was too wrapped up in hitting personal targets to take notice of.
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. umm, lazy is not what I would have said. Sounds like a great run was had :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, that was a long run Lena, I'm envious. Would love to have seen that dog fox.
    What sort of a Garmin have you got that beeps each mile? I don't think my 205 will.

    ReplyDelete