Monday 24 May 2010

Jelly Baby Masacre

I woke up to a cool morning, dull and drizzly, wahey all the worrying about running in heat had been unnecessary. My friends and I dressed, checked our bags and checked them again. We left our hotel by the airport and headed into Edinburgh. It was well and truly raining when we left the car park and headed in the opposite direction to all the other runners who were heading for the start of the half marathon. I was beginning to feel more confident of completing my first marathon, I don't mind running in the cold and wet.
By the time we'd had porridge in Maccy D's, the rain had stopped and the temperature was rising.
A couple of loo stops and we were ready to get in our pens, I was in Blue and V was in purple. E wasn't running due to a back injury and was our support crew, (invaluable).
About 9:55 the sun suddenly came out and the temperature rose instantly.
We were walking towards the start, then jogging and we were off. It didn't feel fast, I was enjoying the views and the atmosphere and running over a road dotted with jelly babies.
At 6 miles I dodged a fallen gel, only to have the runner behind me step on it exploding it up my legs.
10k down, I was already starting to feel the heat, I was on target for a 4:30 finish.
approaching the race course I was finding it difficult to get a decent breath in the heat, so wading through the fallen jelly babies at 9 miles, I had a little walk, saw E and stopped for a photo.
coming up to 13 miles I still wasn't comfortable, but kept running until I had passed the Macmillan Cheer point, where V's friends were to support us. again, I stopped to pose for a pic and ran till I was out of sight. 2:17 at the half way point, I was loosing time, but it was too hot and people were collapsing. Time for a new plan. Finishing would be a good enough target.
Just after 14 mile I felt a a pain then as if something was in my right sock," UURRGGHH I think I've lost a nail". I stopped and wiggled my foot about to try and make it more comfy. It was not the best feeling. I couldn't take my shoe off in case I lost my chip
At 16-17 mile, only 10 miles left, I saw V, she was just behind me, Wow she was having a great race, I'd better get a wiggle on.
At 17 miles I felt a sharp pain in a toe on my left foot and then a flood of warmth, YUCK a blister had burst. It was tough to try and put the pain out of my head as I headed off road towards Gosford House and the turning point, I walked a bit. As I passed the house I felt more positive I was on the way home. The trail of jelly babies was now replaced with runners collapsing, it was so hot.
The road back was tough, no shade, no breeze, I ran for the shade crossing the road, where possible. I found myself walking more often, expecting V to pass at any moment.
Glancing down at my painful feet, I was relieved not to see blood. There was no point seeking fist aid, the dressings would be more uncomfortable, carry on deal with it later, I was still going forwards.
I was now alternatively speed walking and running and counting the miles off, I was doing this, I was doing a marathon, and I was going to finish. 20 miles, just a 10k to go. I went under every available shower took all available water, and passed the Macmillan cheering point at 23miles, where V's friends were.
Only a 5k to go and "The Wall" to avoid, by now I was walking as much as running but still going forwards, 24 miles 25 miles, "You Beauty" where was the wall? ! and a bit to go tears were threatening, ever since 1981, I've dreamt of doing a marathon and I was doing it, I really was, I could see the racecourse, the crowd was roaring and tears were rolling, I still had to walk a bit, the rubber matting draining what energy was left.
Nearly 5 hours after I had started, tired, weeping, sunburnt and ecstatic I staggered across the finish line. I HAD DONE A MARATHON, In 4:56:56.
Unfortunately there was a fatality at the event and many casualties.

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant description of the ups and downs of running a marathon. Well done Lena.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tim, its becoming a distant memory already, but I am hoping to do a very different type of marathon in November, The Newcastle Town Moor.

    ReplyDelete